La Marzocco GS3 vs ECM Synchronika - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Wattbe

#11: Post by Wattbe »

leonelbego wrote: Oh woow thanks Ben. I do appreciate your reply. You basically did what I am wanting to do now already :)

I know (or maybe) that the taste in the cup probably won't be much different if I get the GS3 AV, but I do not want to go to the MP, I like more the simplicity of pressing a knob and that's it, I am sure the profiling thingy on the MP will be overwhelming for me...

The most impressive for me on the GS3 AV compared to my Synchronika is the steam, that thing is a beast, the hot water dispenser is super good and I like that the machine is a little "lower" than the Synchronika. So there are plenty of things that I love on the GS3 AV compared to the Synchronika but not sure if that would be sufficient to justified the upgrade.

I love the colors on yours, I was thinking if I would were to get the GS3 to upgraded with the walnut wood panels and the other wooden things....

I honestly not sure what to do. Is the GS3 AV meant to be for super knowledgeable home barista people? Cause I am not, I know the basics and I'm a enthusiastic but I only make 2-3 coffees a day during the week and more on the weekends....

Did you decide to upgrade from your Synchronika yo the GS3 only for the Manual profiling? Any cons that you could tell me on the GS3 in general?

Thanks again Ben,
Leo
No worries at all Leo. The GS3 (both AV and MP) has a slower flow rate (water debit) than the Synchronika, so the GS3 is potentially more forgiving than the Synchronika which is a plus. (The GS3 has a 0.6mm gicleur compared to the Synchronika's 0.7mm (possibly a 0.8mm).

You certainly don't need to be a pro to warrant owning a GS3. It's actually a great machine to learn on because it's so thermally stable and therefore consistent. Meaning that the main variables will be at the barista end. No more guessing if a particular change in the cup was a result of the grouphead being slightly hotter or cooler than before etc.

If you decide to take the plunge and go for the GS3, I'm sure you'd enjoy the machine as long as you know why you're upgrading and what your expecting from it.
Steaming is essentially endless - you could steam all day in a cafe environment without an issue. The most milk based drinks I've made in succession was 7, and the steam boiler pressure had recovered back to its set pressure well before I'd finished pouring the milk into the espresso each time.

Regarding any cons with the GS3, the only thing I can think of is that the spare parts are relatively expensive.

I made a bunch of different colour designs to see what went best, settled on the cream in the end but here's a few for you to see..

jpsm

#12: Post by jpsm »

leonelbego wrote:Hi all,

I would kindly like to ask you for your comments or advice.

I do have a ECM Synchronika which I find very nice, but I am having the chance to buy a Marzocco GS3 AV (I am not interest in the MP, can't bother with the whole manual thing).....

Do you think the upgrade would be worth it? I tried the GS3 and the most impressive for me was the steam, is a beast and the option of programming the shot by volume, that's a nice option if you are all dialed in... also, the hot water is useable, on my ECM is honestly crap, the water sprays everywhere and I always burn my hands...

One thing that I don't like on the GS3 is the looks, I find it horrendous... but if the machine is as great as the reviews say and people say, is it then worth it?

I know everything is personal, but I just would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks a lot,
Leo
The volumetrics on the gs3 is really awesome. 2-4ml + or - the target weight on most cases when pulling a shot. Maybe in 10 shots 1 shot would go 6ml over targeted weight so do take note on that also. The steam power is too much at 2 bars when I am just steaming 100-140ml of milk at a time so I have to turn it down to 1.5(1bar when i first started out).

Re looks. I personally find the saturated group look really sexy vs the normal box shape machines that house the group itself like the lineamini. Take a look at the speedster or mvp they are pretty machines :D .

leonelbego (original poster)

#13: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to jpsm »

Thank you so much :) one of the most exciting features on the GS3 is the volumetric option, I find it cool and would be very easy for my wife to use :) and the steamer is a beast! If I get a bit more into latte art I would be glad to have that steamer!

Do you have the GS3 AV model?

I really hope the upgrade is worth it, the ECM Synchronika is already an amazing machine and I'm a bit afraid it doesn't make sense to upgrade.

jpsm

#14: Post by jpsm replying to leonelbego »

Yes I have the AV model. Initially wanted the MP model but I find that I just want a machine that works and I have tons of guest all the time so the volumetrics do help a lot actually! Steaming and pulling a shot at the same time? No problem! :D . Man the steamer is really a beast! This is my first machine so I cant imagine steaming with a weaker wand.

#15: Post by leonelbego (original poster) »

Hi All,

I wanted to give you an update! So, I decided to upgrade my Synchronika with the GS3 AV! And I couldn't be happier!

The GS3 is a joy!

Thank you all for your previous feedback,

Thanks,
Leo

Wattbe

#16: Post by Wattbe »

That's an awesome setup Leo - congrats!

#17: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to Wattbe »

Thank you very much Ben :) you helped me a lot during "my decision" process!

Jake_G
Team HB

#18: Post by Jake_G »

So.

How's the spro? It is a beauty.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

DJL

#19: Post by DJL »

leonelbego wrote:Hi All,

I wanted to give you an update! So, I decided to upgrade my Synchronika with the GS3 AV! And I couldn't be happier!

The GS3 is a joy!

Thank you all for your previous feedback,

Thanks,
Leo

Wow, gorgeous set up. Are those stock side panels. How does it compare to the ECM Synchronika from the cup?

Now you're ready to serve drinks to the neighbourhood. :-)

#20: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to DJL »

Hi,

Thank you very much :)

Yes, those are the side stock panels! They are lovely. Although I got the walnut wood side panels that I want to mount to match the radio and other elements in the kitchen.

Regarding how does it compare to the Synchronika, to be honest, the Synchronika is already a very high end machine and I can't really taste much difference, so on that end there is no much of an upgrade (but again, I was expecting that cause the Synchronika is already amazing) BUT the whole workflow with the GS3 is incredible, here some of my impressions compared to the Synchronika:

- the steamer is a BEAST! I am trying to get used to so much power!

- the hot water tap is super nice, you can also change the temperature on the hot water while you cannot on the Synchronika. The hot water on the Synchronika is useless, while running it sprays everywhere and you almost burn your hands, on the GS3 comes nicely like a normal tap water. For us here a super nice feature because my wife makes americanos every morning!

- the volumetric option is spot on, if your grinder is all dialed in, then you only press a button and you extraction starts and stops automatically. I love that function.

- I really like that the "house" of the GS3 is much lower than the Synchronika, so if one day I move flats is easier to fit under a shelf or so, while the Synchronika is very high.

- the warm up time is faster than the Synchronika, with the GS3 in 20 minutes is ready to go, with the Synchronika I needed around 30-35 minutes.

So, all in all I am very happy withy decision. I am still experimenting and getting to know the machine. I only installed this past Saturday.

Thanks,
Leo