La Marzocco GS3 MP vs Linea Mini: looking back from 2021 - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
drH (original poster)

#11: Post by drH (original poster) »

I think that what is so hard about these decisions is not being able to try these machines for a few weeks first. Even a day might be enough.
For example, I read frequently about the benefits of flow profiling for light roasts. But on my HX machine I can make some nice shots with light (not ultra light) roasts by pulling longer ratios. So will a GS3 simply make that easier or a bit tastier?- maybe that's not worth it- maybe it is. Certainly it offers a new capability to make a short or ristretto shot with a light roast and still get a balanced extraction.
So it's not as if you CAN'T use light roasts with traditional machines; it's just different (maybe better) if you have more advanced tools. But it's difficult to weigh the pros and cons without actually getting to try it first hand.

nguye569

#12: Post by nguye569 »

The slayer would be an awesome endgame machine. I'm waiting on synesso to finally announce their home machine that they've been teasing. That might be a worthy upgrade for me in a few years.

I just picked up my LMLM, so maybe it'll be a few more years before I upgrade again.

Airbornewilly
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Airbornewilly »

Totally! Synesso makes some incredible stuff. Pulled the trigger on the Slayer so just listed the mini for sale! Bittersweet moment for sure.

Jeff
Team HB

#14: Post by Jeff »

drH wrote:on my HX machine I can make some nice shots with light (not ultra light) roasts by pulling longer ratios. So will a GS3 simply make that easier or a bit tastier?
My experience seems similar to yours with a solid E61. I found I could get the magic out of lighter roast beans enough to start sliding in that direction. Maybe half the time it was great. Maybe 1/4 the time it was a week of frustration without finding a sweet spot. With the same conical grinder (K10 WBC), moving to a machine with variable PI and extraction profiling took the success fraction up to close to every bag, assuming it was good coffee. I can't say those features made "classic espresso" significantly better. If thick, nuts and chocolate is your preference, I think you've pretty much maxed out with a good lever or an E61 with the ability to run a decreasing-pressure extraction. If you're pushing the boundaries, those features, I believe, make getting consistently great shots from a very broad range of lighter-roasted coffees easier.

Airbornewilly
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Airbornewilly replying to Jeff »

I'm hoping that I might be able to tame the acidity and sour notes from lighter roasts with a "slayer" shot without having to increase my ratios too dramatically. I suppose I'll find out soon enough lol. Nonetheless it will be fun to play with a beautiful new toy!

exidrion

#16: Post by exidrion »

Airbornewilly wrote:Totally! Synesso makes some incredible stuff. Pulled the trigger on the Slayer so just listed the mini for sale! Bittersweet moment for sure.
You're going to pair a $9500 machine with a $1500 indie gogo first run grinder? 0_o

Airbornewilly
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by Airbornewilly replying to exidrion »

I ordered the KEY to go with the LMLM before I decided to get a Slayer. That being said, WW has a pretty decent track record. I have other options available as well if it doesn't cut it! :o

ShadowBrew

#18: Post by ShadowBrew »

I've heard from the grapevine the target for the Synesso Home Machine release is Q1 2022. I'm not sure I can wait that long and may end up with a single group mvp Hydra.

drH (original poster)

#19: Post by drH (original poster) »

Just resurrecting this now that it's decision time: Linea Mini or GS3AV?
I like comfort blends mostly and I don't have the cabinet space for the GS3MP gauge. I don't plan to make any changes to stock machines early on. The question is: is there a compelling reason to spring for the GS3? The vendor I spoke to was unequivocal that the GS3AV would deliver a better experience.

BaristaBoy E61

#20: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

drH wrote:The question is: is there a compelling reason to spring for the GS3? The vendor I spoke to was unequivocal that the GS3AV would deliver a better experience.
Saturated group, volumetrics.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"