La Marzocco GS3 MP or Rocket R Nine One - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Tonefish

#11: Post by Tonefish »

lsegeorge wrote:Thats probably the reason why the gs3 is still on my list. The R9 implementation in terms of user interface wit the touch-screen and the electronic paddle seems more gimmicky compared tp the gs3 mechanical paddle and the analogue dial.
I tend to agree. The one video I could find of the R9 One in action looked like there might be a delay between paddle adjustment and readout of the pressure, which either caused a pretty big step (6-to-12 bar) with a minor paddle adjustment or it's electronics force a non-continuous pressure adjustment. I'm also really surprised there isn't more out there on this machine given that at the March show they said it would be shipping before the Italian summer break which is long over.

The MP with analog gauge appears to provide a fairly continuous adjustment with the paddle and gives immediate feedback from the gauge.

I'm also surprised that the US prices are very close between the two. I don't think taht's good for Rocket here.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

jgirl125

#12: Post by jgirl125 »

I've been using my GS3 MP with the conical valve for almost 2 years now. It took a bit of use for the paddle to smooth out as initially it felt like there was allot friction as it moved through the range. Originally I was too focused on the pressure profiling and trying to get it exactly at that 2 ~ 3 bar, depending on the coffee being brewed. I'm allot more relaxed now about that and the only reason I'm brining it up as I was originally considering the R60V after owning a Rocket Giotto Evoluzionne for several years because I liked the concept of a programmable profile. When I looked into all the tech the R60V was using I got nervous about long term support. The GS3 seems to be a much simpler solution using mechanical valving for the flow (pressure) management. And I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not having that programming feature. Anyway, I've been very happy with the GS3 MP and the coffee it produces.

jpsm

#13: Post by jpsm »

lsegeorge wrote:From these two wonderful machines, which one would you buy if prices were as follows:
La Marzocco GS3mp - 5.350
Rocket R Nine One - 4.400

I am currently on a Cimbali Junior (had it for 15 years) and a Mythos One grinder, drinking single origin espresso drinks (Espressos, Americanos and Iced drinks). Frothing milk very rarely. I brew around 6 espresso shots a day on weekdays and 10 espresso shots on weekends.

I feel that the GS3mp carries more pride of ownership and commercial pedigree whilst the Rocket R Nine One carries more technology which could prove useful if the manual pressure profiling excitement starts wearing out at some point. Also the difference in price of 1k is not negligible.
At the same time, this is going to be my only machine upgrade for a long time, so if La Marzocco will fulfill my needs better (including pride of ownership) I am willing to spend the extra 1k.

You can assume that the quality of the technical support is identical.

(btw I have tried to ask for experiences on the forum for the Rocket R Nine One here but there was very little feedback probably because the machine is so new)
I agree with you on the whole pride of ownership and a machine that can do commercial stuff.Owning a la marzocco is like owning a ferrari or aston martin(dont know if this is a good or bad analogy). Its like you are buying it for the renowned name and awesome craftsmanship. Just wondering are your prices in euro or usd? I just pre ordered a gs3av for around 5600usd. Thanks!

Gataros

#14: Post by Gataros »

jgirl125 wrote:I've been using my GS3 MP with the conical valve for almost 2 years now. It took a bit of use for the paddle to smooth out as initially it felt like there was allot friction as it moved through the range. Originally I was too focused on the pressure profiling and trying to get it exactly at that 2 ~ 3 bar, depending on the coffee being brewed. I'm allot more relaxed now about that and the only reason I'm brining it up as I was originally considering the R60V after owning a Rocket Giotto Evoluzionne for several years because I liked the concept of a programmable profile. When I looked into all the tech the R60V was using I got nervous about long term support. The GS3 seems to be a much simpler solution using mechanical valving for the flow (pressure) management. And I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not having that programming feature. Anyway, I've been very happy with the GS3 MP and the coffee it produces.
The only negative thing of the new GS3 MP (tank mode) is that it is very difficult to reproduce the exact same shot. You need to be super accurate in order to achieve a 3-9-6 or 3-9-3 shot. I would say it might be close to impossible if you do not have stickers on the paddle itself.

Apart from that it is a great espresso machine, if coffee is properly roasted then somebody can enjoy exceptional espresso.

Tonefish

#15: Post by Tonefish »

Gataros wrote:The only negative thing of the new GS3 MP (tank mode) is that it is very difficult to reproduce the exact same shot. You need to be super accurate in order to achieve a 3-9-6 or 3-9-3 shot.
Even with the pressure gauge?
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

smite

#16: Post by smite »

I have used many machines and currently have a Decent DE1+ and a new LM GS3 MP. I chose to not consider the Rocket as in my opinion it was not in the same class as the GS3 or Slayer.

The level of control, data points and program-ability of the DE1 allows for an almost infinite level of control in an automated yet cold manner delivering on the ability to produce great results consistently with all external variables being the same. Akin to a fully autonomous vehicle that will take whatever route you program and effortlessly deliver you to your destination.

The GS3 MP is more like a sports car with the aesthetic and feel of a high end driving experience. Think - driving a world class sports car versus driving a high tech vehicle with full automation.

As can be expected the GS3MP does use much more water and power vs the Decent, but pulling shots on the MP is a joy and I can consistently get great results as can my wife. I have need for both machines in my house. For entertaining and when we have much more time to relax I use the GS3 for rushing out the door or on a whim desire to pull a shot we use the Decent. The Decent also heats up in 5-10 minutes and is flawlessly ready to pull shots, but I can set the GS3 to be on a timer and it will be ready exactly as needed on whatever schedule I set.

I had to add in the gratuitous pictures.

smite

#17: Post by smite »

Tonefish wrote:Even with the pressure gauge?
Not in my experience. Once the paddle is a bit broken in it becomes much easier to consistently know where the flow and pressure changes and I have no issues reproducing great shots. I will say that there is a very fine area where the pressure changes rapidly but once I was familiar with the range it became very easy to control.

lsegeorge (original poster)

#18: Post by lsegeorge (original poster) »

Hey! Thank you all for the wonderful feedback!

Whatever machine I will be buying will be plumbed in. I understand that the preinfusion works better when the machine is plumbed in.

The more I read through the comments the more I get the feeling that GS3mp is the way to go.

The listed prices are in euro. It seems that espresso machines are about the only thing that we get cheaper in Europe rather than in the US !

gr2020

#19: Post by gr2020 »

lsegeorge wrote:Whatever machine I will be buying will be plumbed in. I understand that the preinfusion works better when the machine is plumbed in.
On the current GS/3 MP, pressure manipulation (and thus pre-infusion) is exactly the same whether you're plumbed in or not, FYI.

lsegeorge (original poster)

#20: Post by lsegeorge (original poster) »

New video on the Rocket R9 One

More of an informercial than a review