La Marzocco GS3 AV boiler size too big for home use?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Vincere

#1: Post by Vincere »

Hello, I was looking into buying a GS3 or prima eagle one or Linea mini but I just realize the size of the brew boiler on the gs3 is huge! is that too big for home use? I will be making 3-4 cappuccino per day for myself most days (sometimes when I have family or friends over I will make many cappuccino or latte but most days I will be alone drinking )

Does the amount of water staying for so long in the brew boiler bad? Will i not have enough rotation?

Last machine I had was a gaggia classic pro but I decided to upgrade to a really nice set up I can keep for a long time, I have been asking alot of questions on this forums and everyone has been really helpful!

thank you everyone for taking your time to answer :D :D

Jake_G
Team HB

#2: Post by Jake_G »

Short answer is "no. It is not too big."

That said, there are advantages to the E1P system from a power management standpoint. Does it really matter in a home? I doubt it, but when you are talking about the energy footprint of potentially thousands of machines in thousands of homes, every little bit helps.

I have a GS/3 and I love it. The boiler is sized appropriately for how it was designed, which is to have excellent thermal stability and repeatability. I can pull the same shot back to back, day to day and hour to hour. I haven't seen any Scace temperature data for the E1P, but I've heard anecdotally that it is "very good".

As for turnover of the brew water in the 1.5L GS/3 boiler, it is a non-issue. The boiler is sealed stainless steel, purged of air and held around 205 degrees F. Every shot you make replaces old water with new, so I really don't see a concern, even with only 1 or two shots per day.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

Advertisement
Vincere (original poster)

#3: Post by Vincere (original poster) »

Thank you, I read so much on this forum, sometimes some people's comment scares me about things that might not even be a problem!

I Really like the gs3

111a111sk

#4: Post by 111a111sk »

I already replied to you in the E1P thread, but I remembered two more things: E1P has much wilder preinfusion options (with cycling, super long times). GS3 has just 1-5s on and 1-5s off. That's it. And the autoflush.

Also, if you intend to use a scale-free water recipe, 1.5l is no issue. Also taste change in stainless boiler is probably just a myth. In case of E1P you get close to complete exchange each shot, especially including autoflush.