La Cimbali M21 Junior tamper size

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
habdv

#1: Post by habdv »

Hi all, I wish to buy my brother a custom made tamper for his La Cimbali. However despite significant research :x , i'm unable to find the tamper size that is appropriate for this machine.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I searched on tamper size chart. Though I remember it being 58mm, some sites are saying it's 57mm. Would a current owner confirm?
Dan Kehn

Al deHyde

#3: Post by Al deHyde »

It uses standard (and fairly ubiquitous) 58mm filter baskets.

Tampers would be the 58mm size for the stock baskets (which have sloped sides).

However, if he uses VST-style/premium baskets, which are straight-sided, he should have a tamper base that is 58.5mm and flat, preferably with sloped sides such as the Torr Toys tamper. I have one with an olive wood handle that is both beautiful and highly functional. Got mine from espressoparts. Available in other woods (olive, zebra, walnut, african blackwood). There is also a nice tamper sold by LaMarzocco that is 58.3mm (close enough), also sloped sides, that also works well. You do want the sloped sides. Both of these would make a nice gift for the premium (not stock) baskets.

For stock baskets, I prefer the Reg Barber 58mm tampers (straight sides. I like the 'short' handle, but they offer a variety of handle shapes.

Speaking of which, some folks have definite handle shapes/size preferences. They can influence tamping technique. Might also want to consider that.

civ

#4: Post by civ »

Hello:
Al deHyde wrote: ... standard (and fairly ubiquitous) 58mm ...
Quite so ...
Al deHyde wrote:... should have a tamper base that is 58.5mm ...
Hmmm ...
The difference between the standard (and fairly ubiquitous) 58mm and the 58.5 mm version is 0.5 mm, which when you center it, makes for a 0.25 mm difference at the rim of the basket.

Quite honestly (IMO) I really don't think it will do anything for or against the resulting shot.
There are so many other more important variables to control that to worry about this seems rather futile.
Many of us surely recall a time when here at HB there were heated discussions about how a 0.2 gr. difference could actually alter the taste of a shot.

Looking back a few years, I can remember making some very good (looking and tasting) espresso on a modified L'elit type machine while tamping with the butt of a glass jar containing gourmet dijon mustard. It was a quite expensive French import, so maybe that had something to do with it. 8^D!!!

Cheers,

CIV

Scott_G

#5: Post by Scott_G »

The portafilters were definitely designed for the 57mm baskets on an older M30 I fixed up. I can't recall the tamper's dimensions specifically, but it fit the replacement Cimbali baskets from Espresso Parts quite well.

Al deHyde

#6: Post by Al deHyde »

If the machine in question is a Cimbali M21 as indicated by the original poster,'s 'Equipment,' the portafilter size is 58mm.