Used La Cimbali DT1 Junior

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
F9zSlavik

#1: Post by F9zSlavik »

I have an opportunity to buy a used La Cimbali DT1 Junior. It was used on a yacht and from what I was told, well maintained. The owner no longer wanted it, was gifted and then store away for a couple of years. Would something like this be worth 960 dollars?
I would like to own it mainly because I have a m32 bistro single group and when it works, love how it makes coffee. I want to open up a coffee up so I would like to have something small at home yet similar to the m32. It will also serve as a potential back up incase the m32 ever goes down. I don't have a load of cash as most but I am seeing this as 1, a back up for my m32, and 2, to continue practicing my skills as I am completely new at this.

This is my first post and have attempted to read as much as I can about my question and I can't seem to find the answer. Thank you for your time.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

That is about a $3,500 machine new. Is it worth $960, that is up to you but that appears to be a good price if it was well maintained. They were good machines back in the day. They have been around for probably two decades now. You would want to hook it up and make sure everything works and maybe check the boiler for scale which is not easy to do on that machine. You would need to remove the vacuum breaker from the boiler and look inside the boiler. Consumables would be all the gaskets for the steam/water controls, group gasket, possibly the OVP gasket, vacuum breaker valve, and pressurestat.
Dave Stephens