Kinu Phoenix for Pour Over

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bladeliger

#1: Post by Bladeliger »

I'm looking to upgrade my grinder from a not great Cuisinart burr grinder and hopefully get into espresso in the upcoming months (maybe sooner if I'm stuck at home for much longer).

Would a Kinu be a good option going forward? My budget is about $200, so I figured manual is the best way, but I've heard some not great things about the Kinu and non-espresso methods. Then again, I'm also thinking anything beyond what I have is pretty good.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

fdehlvi

#2: Post by fdehlvi »

Hi Jacob,

Your topic mentions pourover but the body of your post is focused on espresso. Are you looking for a grinder that can do pourover for now, and then also work for espresso once you buy an espresso machine?

I've used the Helor 101 with the 'conventional' burrset for pourover with great results. When i bought it from Prima Coffee, it came with that, and a 'contemporary' burrset intended for finer grinds (espresso). Ergonomics and build quality are very good, and it was a huge step up in flavour from both my hario skerton & my super jolly (for pourover, i never compared them for espresso).

While i don't have personal experience with it, the new OE Fixie grinder looks interesting, and may be worth checking out.

Bladeliger

#3: Post by Bladeliger »

Hi Farhad,

You've got it right. I can do pour over now, and would like to do espresso in the future.

I'll have to look more into the Helor. I've seen a few videos, and I like the look of it for sure.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the Fixie. I hadn't even heard of that one. I'll definitely check that out. Thanks!

fdehlvi

#4: Post by fdehlvi »

:D

Something to consider is that if you're doing a single cup in something like a v60, the grind is not that coarse, whereas a large batch on a Chemex is quite coarse.

It may be tough in the time of shelter in place and social distancing, but if you're able to try a grinder or two, that would be best. I tried several hand grinders before settling on the Helor.

All the best with your search and keep us posted.

Bladeliger

#5: Post by Bladeliger »

Thanks for all your input. I live in west Texas, and we're just now getting stricter shelter in place guidelines, so the Cuisinart might be sticking around a bit longer.

Prima Coffee seems to have a pretty accommodating return policy. Did you test out other grinders from them? Since I'm looking at manual grinders, I definitely want to at least get them in my hands before making a final decision.

fdehlvi

#6: Post by fdehlvi »

Yes, we're under 'shelter in place' here in Los Angeles too. Stay safe!

I bought an aergrind from prima just before a trip. Didn't much care for the ergonomics, build quality, or grind speed so used it on the trip and then sold it.

Tried a commandante locally and I liked that, though the stepped adjustment and glass catch cup weren't for me.

Then, bought the helor from prima for another trip and liked it a lot. Haven't used it much recently, been using the Mazzer major on my espresso machine to make 'long blacks' after skimming the crema off - get really nice cup that way.

A bit of perspective: all the hand grinders were better than the skerton in the cup, so I reckon you can't really make a wrong choice moving up from your current grinder.

ira
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by ira »

The Fixie is not an espresso grinder. Adjusting it is a chore and it only has a limited number of fixed steps.

Ira

fdehlvi

#8: Post by fdehlvi »

This is true :)

I recommended he check it out based on his current pour over usage and budget.

Bladeliger

#9: Post by Bladeliger »

The Fixie is interesting, but a little convoluted I think. It'd make for a neat little grinder to take on camping trips though.

It's as Ira mentioned: I'm looking for a hand grinder that can work decently for both espresso and pour over at the moment.

Jonk

#10: Post by Jonk »

I think the Kinu M47 fits the bill, it's not the best I've used for pour over but it is good and you won't be sorry once you start making espresso.