Kafatek vs Mahlkonig

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Gig103

#1: Post by Gig103 »

For years, I had lusted after a K30 Vario, and even passed on a Ceado E37S when they were only $1100 (they also at the time had the coffee spewing issue). I also used to make nearly exclusively Redbird Espresso going for the Italian style, so my Baratza Vario was fine.

My coffee tastes have grown, and I'm finally in a market for an upgrade with the intention to stay with a flat after having enough espresso in some good shops to know I prefer staying with a flat burr instead of jumping to conical.

Since those dreamer days though, the K30 has been replaced by the more expensive E65S, and the Kafatek Monolith has come to my attention as a single dosing big flat, and while not in the price range of the K30, it is close enough to the E65S I'm cross-shopping them.

My espresso machine is an Andreja Premium HX, and my tastes for espresso, while I still like the Italian style, are progressing into some of the natural processed Ethiopians. Between the two grinders will I find one or the other better for espresso, in the two styles I mentioned? I like the single dosing of the Monolith, and it's smaller form factor. And if they are comparable in taste, does the Monolith Flat command the $250+s&h premium? And a final question is, if I found a K30 on the used market is that maybe still a reasonable idea for me?

Thanks!

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Gig103 wrote:For years, I had lusted after a K30 Vario, and even passed on a Ceado E37S when they were only $1100 (they also at the time had the coffee spewing issue)...

And a final question is, if I found a K30 on the used market is that maybe still a reasonable idea for me?

Thanks!

I would say yes if you can find a K30 at an attractive price, even if you have to replace the burrs. My answer is based on our experience of 5-plus years owning a new K30 Vario. The E65S is a new and improved grinder but still uses the same burrs.

We have been using our K30 for single dosing for quite some time and my experience doing this has been that as long as you pay attention to your prep it's fine. I don't doubt that the Kafatek Monolith Flat is better but the price differential of K30 used verses Monolith Flat new is substantial. A used Monolith would be a different story.

You can try the K30 route, if you can find one, at little risk since the original owner would have taken the brunt of the depreciation hit and you might be able to sell it for something close to your purchase price and then move on to your next grinder should something else catch your fancy.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

chipman

#3: Post by chipman »

I had the K-30, fine machine. Bought a EG-1. Sold the k-30.

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 replying to chipman »

In terms of taste, what differences have you noticed?

What 'type' of beans do your grind?

RyanJE

#5: Post by RyanJE »

This comes down to preference of single dose, vs hopper dose. Its not really a grinder comparison.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

murrellington

#6: Post by murrellington »

Espressocoffeeshop had the e65s a lot cheaper than US retailers. Might also look into that.

luca
Team HB

#7: Post by luca »

Last time I looked at a k30 was many, many years ago, but I got the impression that it holds a lot of coffee in the exciting chute that needs to be purged between shots. You would do well to run that issue down and get some answers before buying one. Tim Wendelboe's latest podcast episode (#4) contains some passing discussion of some of the mahlkonig espresso grinders; k60, I think.
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes

chipman

#8: Post by chipman »

As some of the following posts suggested, it isn't so much the taste difference between the two grinders, it was the fact I wanted to single dose and the K-30 was not really designed for that. I also have a easier time switching between different types of brewing besides espresso. As for the types of beans I buy? I guess I could be described as a very old school guy who likes a traditional Italian roast. My go to beans are Redbird and Cafe Lusso.

BaristaBoy E61

#9: Post by BaristaBoy E61 replying to chipman »

Thanks for that. I for one will be staying with the K30 Vario - Especially since we still love the coffee!

Gig103 (original poster)

#10: Post by Gig103 (original poster) »

luca wrote:Last time I looked at a k30 was many, many years ago, but I got the impression that it holds a lot of coffee in the exciting chute that needs to be purged between shots. You would do well to run that issue down and get some answers before buying one. Tim Wendelboe's latest podcast episode (#4) contains some passing discussion of some of the mahlkonig espresso grinders; k60, I think.
I'll check that podcast but my impression was that I'd be burning through coffee every morning and also that as the hopper drains the consistency of the draw (time based) might not be as accurate.
RyanJE wrote:This comes down to preference of single dose, vs hopper dose. Its not really a grinder comparison.
Ryan are you referring to the Monolith vs K30/E65S, or the K30 and EG1 that chipman was talking about?