J-Ultra vs K-Ultra (1Zpresso)

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mixespresso

#1: Post by mixespresso »

The K-Ultra is advertised as all-purpose, and the J-Ultra as more espresso-focused. But I have heard that the J-Ultra also performs well for pour-overs

For a 75% use for espresso shots and 25% pour-overs, which one would you recommend?

Thanks

bznelson91
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by bznelson91 »

You really need the finer steps of the J series for espresso IMO. I've got a J-Ultra, and single click granularity is needed. The J-Ultra is 8 microns per click, whereas the K-Ultra is 20. I've not made filter coffee with the J-Ultra, but I'm sure it'd be more than capable.

Brad

mixespresso (original poster)

#3: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

bznelson91 wrote:You really need the finer steps of the J series for espresso IMO. I've got a J-Ultra, and single click granularity is needed. The J-Ultra is 8 microns per click, whereas the K-Ultra is 20. I've not made filter coffee with the J-Ultra, but I'm sure it'd be more than capable.

Brad

Thanks. I heard that is faster than comparator grinders (i.e: C40 comandante). Do you feel the same? How long does it take to grind for espresso?

Vito_

#4: Post by Vito_ »

I got the K Ultra because I was interested in an espresso and filter grinder with more clarity than my Niche Zero. It has very much delivered on both fronts, and I've had no issues dialling in several coffees for espresso in the month I've had it.

Jonk

#5: Post by Jonk »

Yes. I used a K-Max for a while and the 22µm per click was more than sufficient for the Robot. Keep in mind that the actual burr gap change is less, unlike a flat burr grinder.. but varies with the finishing section/"calibration band": you might have to dial in with dose if you'd use a C40 with "red clix" at 16½µm per click.

The C40 is the oddity when it comes to speed, expect to crank it for more than twice as long. It's not ergonomic or convenient to use either, but for this mixed use I think it might have an edge.

I have only used the K-Ultra one evening and I have a feeling that it's somewhat different to the K-Max that I owned for more than a year. Still, I think you can expect on par or better performance for pour over compared to C40. The K-Max I had also worked fine for espresso, but wouldn't be my first choice.

If you're mostly doing medium->dark roast espresso I'd pick the J-Ultra, but it's really not for pour over. So instead I'd recommend two grinders: you could probably get a Kingrinder K4 and 1zpresso Q2 Air for less than the J-Ultra?

mixespresso (original poster)

#6: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

Thank you all for your replies. I have also asked the question to 1Zpresso directly. They recommended the J-Ultra for my 75% espresso needs but they also said
"The J-Ultra grinder produces more coffee fines than the K-Ultra grinder, resulting in a sweeter and rounder taste in your coffee"

I am trying to get my head around it. is that because fines increase the surface area and extract faster, so you end up with a "rounded" balance between the particles that extract fast and the larger ones that take more time to extract? If that is the case, I am not fully sure I get why the resulting cup would be sweeter

Thanks again

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

Don't worry, you're not alone.

Burr design and the result in the cup is more of an art than a science. The perception of "sweetness" is interesting in of itself as my recollection of what I've read is that there isn't enough sugar in roasted coffee for people to taste. Anyone who claims they can look at a particle size distribution and tell you how the grinder tastes is probably full of it. (You have to have comparable marketing, so I can't blame them for making a statement.)

Jonk

#8: Post by Jonk »

It's not an uncommon statement, just not completely true. I think I would expect a "sweeter" or more satisfying medium/dark roast espresso (not talking about distribution, but the actual burrs). For coarse grinds I think perhaps "less acidity" is often mistaken to mean more sweetness..