Izzo Alex PID vs. Izzo Alex Duetto IV

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
koffeinberiget

#1: Post by koffeinberiget »

I have an Izzo Vivi PID III, which has served me well, but it's placed in a corner, which means the steam arm is right next to a wall, which is a PITA and prevents med from brewing and steaming at the same time. Luckily, the newer generation Izzos have moved the steam arm to the left hand side.

I just saw that the Alex PID has come down in price, equivalent of EUR1479, or only EUR135 more than a new Vivi. On the other hand, the Alex Duetto IV is not a long stretch from there.

So, Alex PID or Alex Duetto?

Input:
  • Grinder is an Option-O Lagom P64, and not likely to change soon.
  • We almost exclusively drink coffee in the morning, and nothing during the rest of the day. Standard order is two cappas and one espresso. When entertaining guests, cappas are served far more often than espressos or americanos (although they do happen.) What I'm trying to say is that it's not often I see myself benefitting from turning off the steam boiler on the Duetto.
  • We enjoy a lot of lighter roasts.

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would choose the DB Izzo Alex Duetto IV, finances permitting.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

koffeinberiget (original poster)

#3: Post by koffeinberiget (original poster) »

Thanks for your answer, Steve. Could you elaborate on why?

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

koffeinberiget wrote: On the other hand, the Alex Duetto IV is not a long stretch from there.

So, Alex PID or Alex Duetto?

Standard order is two cappas and one espresso. When entertaining guests, cappas are served far more often than espressos or americanos (although they do happen.) What I'm trying to say is that it's not often I see myself benefitting from turning off the steam boiler on the Duetto.

Based on what you've said you might enjoy the convenience of the dual boiler particularly when entertaining as it will require less attention when you might be distracted by other goings on.

The Duetto also has a rotary pump that is not only quieter but more conducive to direct plumbing that would also provide better pre-infusion - even without a flow control mushroom.

#5: Post by koffeinberiget (original poster) »

Should've made that more clear: plumbing in is not, and will likely never be, an option.

Also, the Alex PID has a rotary pump too, does it not?

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 replying to koffeinberiget »

I believe it has a 41 watt ulka vibratory pump, unless we're talking about 2-different machines.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/products/izzo-vivi-pid

#7: Post by koffeinberiget (original poster) »

We are. You're linking the Izzo Vivi PID. I'm talking about the Izzo Alex PID. Hence the thread title.

Spec sheet directly from the horse's mouth here:

https://caffeizzo.it/izzo-upload-media/ ... ochure.pdf

which says rotary pump.

Jeff
Team HB

#8: Post by Jeff »

Budget permitting, I'd take the better temperature control of a dual-boiler over an HX and its flush routines.

BaristaBoy E61

#9: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

koffeinberiget wrote:We are. You're linking the Izzo Vivi PID. I'm talking about the Izzo Alex PID. Hence the thread title.

Spec sheet directly from the horse's mouth here:

https://caffeizzo.it/izzo-upload-media/ ... ochure.pdf

which says rotary pump.
I apologize, sorry for the confusion.

I also agree with Jeff's last post.

#10: Post by koffeinberiget (original poster) »

To tie a knot on this, the Alex Duetto went on sale for this BF, and it was delivered to me yesterday.