Izzo Alex II vs. Quickmill Anita

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
CSME9

#1: Post by CSME9 »

I was looking to buy a new QM Anita to replace my Isomac TEA but was offered an Alex II for $200 more.

The Alex is approx 4.5 inch wider, considerably heavier, has the steam wand on the right side which seems awkward to use given the lever is on the same side, some have complained cup space is tight under the group head, has a rotary pump, and ability to plumb later, is it worth it ?

Thanks, WS

kize

#2: Post by kize »

Are the features/ upgrades worth the 200.00 to you ? Its a matter of opinion - and you will get many. I have a rotary pump on my mine- and will never go back. Are you going to plumb it in (now or Later) ? Then buying a machine with feature up front might save you dough and hassle later. What kind of cups are you wanting to put under the group ? No sense buying a machine and then posting " how your cups don't fit" or " Has anyone modified the drip tray so my cups fit" etc. Depends on what you can live with.

Advertisement
da gino

#3: Post by da gino »

Not a real answer to your question, but are you sure that it is a negative to have the wand and the lever on the same side? Dan liked that aspect a lot in his review of the Elektra A3...
Somebody at Elektra thought to position [the lever] near the steam toggle switch and align it such that your hand is naturally right next to it when steaming. Flipping the lever down / flicking the switch of most machines to cut off the pump requires you reach away from where you're focusing while frothing. That's miffed me more than once when I've accidently injected a splotch of big bubbles.

Not with the A3. Your hand is nary an inch away. Flick one, pump off. Flick two, steam off.
Seems like this might parallel that.

(My answer to your actual question isn't worth much since I haven't used either machine, but from what I've read you won't have a right or wrong choice - both should be great machines - although I wonder if it doesn't boil down to if you might plumb in or not. If so the Alex is a better choice if not the Anita might be the way to go.)