Izzo Alex (HX) vs. Quickmill Andreja Premium

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jfrescki

#1: Post by jfrescki »

Hello all. I'm a new HB member (but have been reading for a few months). I've been making espresso for about 2+ years on a Krups 2010 which is an electric pump machine with thermoblock heater. It's not a bad little machine for the money, but nonetheless it's time to upgrade to something a lot nicer.

I'm considering several machines (HX & DB). Interestingly, I haven't seen too much on the Alex HX. Seems like a great machine with the obvious advantages of rotary pump and reservoir/plumb option. Chris is offering $150 off the machine which makes it cheaper than the Andreja premium.

I'm interested in any comments and experiences with the Alex vs. the Andreja. Any Andreja advantages that clearly outweigh the Izzo? I'm not that worried about a no-burn wand. Is there a plus to the 1.6L boiler in the Andreja over the Alex's 2L? It would seem not.

That said I'm also considering the Duetto II, the Vivaldi II. I've been reading and reading and I'm having a bit of analysis paralysis. I'm not sure I can justify the premium right now on the DB machines, and I'm someone who likes the learning curve and trying to perfect processes.

Anyway, thanks for input/ideas. (Oh, I'm also picking up a Vario which adds to the bill and keeps me leaning towards HX)

John
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

jfrescki (original poster)

#2: Post by jfrescki (original poster) »

Oh, does anyone know if the Alex HX has a vertical placement like the Duetto? I've read some concerns about the pump going on the Duetto II would leak down on the motor.
- Will Rogers

akallio

#3: Post by akallio »

At least it used to have horizontal pump installation. They changed it into vertical in Duetto to reduce noise and vibration.

drdna

#4: Post by drdna »

These are dramatically different machines, but ultimately the differences in specifications are not, in my opinion, going to be the important factors. Ultimately, they will all make great espresso and be a near-exponential step forward from what you are doing now. In this respect minor differences in dwell time, etc. -- which might very well be noticeable to a professional barista -- will not make a huge difference for you right now compared to other factors.

I say this from personal experience in purchasing.

The rotary pump will be the deal-maker if noise is important to you. If the loud buzzing of the vibratory pump is an issue at 6 am, Izzo Duetto may be your choice.

If the Duetto is too expensive and you want temperature control, you can go for the Vivaldi.
If the Duetto is too expensive and you don't want temperature control, you can go for the Alex.

Maybe the rotary pump is not a deal-killer for you? Then:
If you want temperature control, go with the Vivaldi.
If you prefer button controls to levers, go with the Vivaldi.
If you don't want temperature control but want a loud buzzing pump, go with the Quickmill.
Adrian

da gino

#5: Post by da gino »

I bought an HX and am glad. I thought for a long time about the machines you mention plus the Anita and the Vetrano. I should preface my post by pointing out that I have read endless posts about them and talked to the vendors, but that I haven't used them, so take my advice for what it is worth - just a synthesis of other people's posts and experiences. In the Quickmill line, I'd go either with the Anita (cheaper, but not plumbed in and vibe pump) or the Vetrano (plumbed in and rotary pump) instead of the Andreja. It seems like the price premium on the Andreja is for things other than function (essentially looks) and the other two are plenty good looking and thus make more sense with respect to bang for the buck. The option to plumb in at the flip of a switch makes the Alex a contender. Both lines (Izzo and Quickmill) have plenty of fans who will tell you they are great and I haven't seen too many detractors for either line. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

jfrescki (original poster)

#6: Post by jfrescki (original poster) »

drdna wrote: The rotary pump will be the deal-maker if noise is important to you. If the loud buzzing of the vibratory pump is an issue at 6 am, Izzo Duetto may be your choice.

If the Duetto is too expensive and you want temperature control, you can go for the Vivaldi.
If the Duetto is too expensive and you don't want temperature control, you can go for the Alex.
Thanks for the comments. The vibe isn't a deal breaker, but i would prefer the rotary. Anything will be quieter than the rattle trap I have now! :D

the thing about the vivaldi is if you add the $200 timer (which I probably would), the price difference is negligible. Even the mini vivaldi is about the same if you add the timer & pre-infusion chamber. But I am very interested in the machine. Everyone has great things to say about it and the features are pretty fantastic.

Thanks,
John
- Will Rogers

drdna

#7: Post by drdna »

John wrote:Even the mini vivaldi is about the same if you add the timer & pre-infusion chamber. But I am very interested in the machine. Everyone has great things to say about it and the features are pretty fantastic.
Yes, these are all good machines and you are not going to go wrong with any of them. They will all make a great cup of espresso. The key, in my opinion, is to ask yourself:
"What feature will I most regret in a year's time?"
It may be the loud vibratory pump.
It may be the lack of precise temperature control.
It may be that the machine does not have an all chrome exterior.
The answer is different for everyone. That will help you make your decision.
Adrian

coffeeboy

#8: Post by coffeeboy »

jfrescki wrote:the thing about the vivaldi is if you add the $200 timer (which I probably would), the price difference is negligible
If you end up going with the Duetto II..
I'm using the following if your setup for 20amp

Aube by Honeywell TI033/U 7-Day Programmable Timer (20 amp) $22 on Amazon
MAX 2 20-AMP SURGE PROTECTOR $33

uscfroadie

#9: Post by uscfroadie »

akallio wrote:At least it used to have horizontal pump installation. They changed it into vertical in Duetto to reduce noise and vibration.
And to conserve space. Adding a second boiler takes up a lot of space, so they had no choice but to flip it on end to allow for the needed room.
jfrescki wrote:I'm not that worried about a no-burn wand.
I can't do without the no-burn wand. Once you use it you'll most likely feel the same. Luckily the no burn wand fits on the Izzo's and the La Spaziale's should you decide to pay the $45 (or so) fee to do so.

As has been stated, all of these machines rock, and deciding between them becomes more of a personal preference issue.
Merle

akallio

#10: Post by akallio »

uscfroadie wrote:And to conserve space. Adding a second boiler takes up a lot of space, so they had no choice but to flip it on end to allow for the needed room.
I guess they could have placed it under the water tank if they really wanted to.
I can't do without the no-burn wand. Once you use it you'll most likely feel the same.
Well, I did not. :) I had a no-burn wand in my Brewtus, but actually switched back. Maybe the easy one-hole Brewtus wand just made me too lazy.