Izzo Alex (HX) vs. Quickmill Andreja Premium - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
zod27

#21: Post by zod27 »

The Vetrano w/ the Sirai upgrade is $1654, whereas the Giotto w/ rotary pump is $1999, so it's roughly a $350 difference
I don't know about that. If you would have looked at Sweet Marias the Giotto Professional Espresso Machine + Compak K3 Elite Espresso Mill is $2099. That is a $550 grinder just about everywhere... a very good deal for both machines. Just begs the questions: do you need a grinder and do you want a Compak K3? But I'm willing to bet you could sell it for at least $300 brand new... even if you didn't want it.

All that being said, everyone likes the Vetrano and the main differences are all aesthetic (i think). For instance, I think the knobs are ugly and the case is boring... but that's MY opinion.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by uscfroadie »

zod27 wrote:I don't know about that. If you would have looked at Sweet Marias the Giotto Professional Espresso Machine + Compak K3 Elite Espresso Mill is $2099. That is a $550 grinder just about everywhere... a very good deal for both machines. Just begs the questions: do you need a grinder and do you want a Compak K3? But I'm willing to bet you could sell it for at least $300 brand new... even if you didn't want it.

All that being said, everyone likes the Vetrano and the main differences are all aesthetic (i think). For instance, I think the knobs are ugly and the case is boring... but that's MY opinion.
The link I saw http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.giotto_rocket.php showed a different price - $2199 for the combo with a $300 credit for the grinder. So, okay, I was off by $100, but that's before a package deal quote from Chris. He offers package discounts as well, so if you are still interested in a Vetrano give him a call to work out a package deal with a grinder of your choosing.

Happy shopping, and Happy Holidays!
Merle

Advertisement
thomgonzales

#23: Post by thomgonzales »

Thank you for your recommendation. I think it's fair to say there is a fairly significant price difference between the Vetrano and Giotto Professional. When push comes to shove, it seems to boil down to approximately $200-$300 more price for Aesthetics. If the machines are more or less equal, I can probably stomach the extra cost for looks as it will be sitting in the kitchen for a long time. In for a dollar, in for a dime. But my analysis fails to factor in near and long-term customer service. Obviously, this is very important as well. Does anyone have experience with Sweet Marias as that may be the final tie breaker? I'd love your thoughts. There is no doubt that Chris Coffee is the gold standard on this forum.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by uscfroadie »

Since Sweet Marias is really a bean supplier and not a heavy machine distributor I'd expect them to divert you somewhere else if major problems arise. For instance, their QuickMill machines come from Chris Coffee (CC), so if problems arise I'm sure they have you call CC for service or warranty issues. Not sure who the importer/distributor is for the Giotto, though I'd assume Seattle Coffee Gear (SCG) or 1st Line are, which means they'd be the ones you'd most likely deal with on service/warranty issues.

I personally would call or email SCG or 1st Line to discuss purchase options, but that's just me.
Merle

zod27

#25: Post by zod27 »

For instance, their QuickMill machines come from Chris Coffee (CC), so if problems arise I'm sure they have you call CC for service or warranty issues.
Not always the case. For instance if you buy Quickmill from SCG you deal directly with SCG. On top of that Rocket's website says that Sweet Marias is a direct importer. Now besides that I have no idea how their service is, I have never dealt with them. I have dealt with Seattle Coffee Gear though and they are great people who are very helpful. I've spoken with Chris several times and he is indeed very knowledgeable but so is Jim at 1st Line. I guess what I am saying is to call them and see how you feel after talking to them. Everyone's buying experience is subjective and you will know how you feel after you speak with them yourself. Same goes for Chris and Jim, call them and see how you feel.

Happy Hunting.

CafSuperCharged

#26: Post by CafSuperCharged »

So if these machines are functionally comparable, now your choice depends on
- design or WAF;
- perceived technical support by vendor;
- pump/motor noise;
- plumbing options (drain tray).

Take this still into account, though: if you buy the cheapest machine (no Sirai upgrade) of the two, you then can spend the budget falling free on an even better grinder (check HB for the Titan Grinder Project - a long thread that described tasting differences between grinders.)

Regards
Peter