Itching to try something new... lever or E61 - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Montrealer

#11: Post by Montrealer »

pcrussell50 wrote: The difference with the needle valve mod is that it's not only two speeds. With it, you can set any flow you like, or anywhere in between, without having to choose between low and high
-Peter
Just to make sure we are on the same page:

Similar flow/pressure profiles can be acheived via stock BDB or modded flow profile BDB. The main difference being the stock BDB will relase that additional flow/pressure to the drip tray (like the slayer).

Also, the slayer may very well be 2 speed but i just want to make sure this statement is not confounded with a stock BDB's capabilities, which is pretty close to full pressure profiling.

lancealot

#12: Post by lancealot »

I was in exactly the same boat as you. BDB, Medium roasts, never using preinfusion. I was looking at levers. I modded my BDB. I did the "slayer mod" but put it back, settling on the mod that takes the switch off the hot water knob so that I can open the water tap while the shot is pulling and reduce the pressure/flow through the puck. This gives me the ability to mimic a lever shot very nicely. And yes, I find that I get better results when I use a trailing pressure profile. Less bitter, more smooth and "round" as I have heard it said. Try it, if you drink straight shots, I think you'll like it.

This had me pretty excited about getting a lever. I surveyed the field and I had my eye on the Londinium R. That is, until the virus got here. There were some things that kept me from hitting the buy button for about a month 1) lack of cup warmer rails. 2) fears of a clicky pressure stat. 3) size.