Is this used Rocket Giotto a good deal?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
tyw13

#1: Post by tyw13 »

Hi,
I have the opportunity to buy this Rocket Giotto for $500. Im trying to confirm its authenticity and see if it would be a good deal. It is in new condition right out of the box after being in storage. Thanks for any help!

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Being that it is about 1/4 the price of a new one, yes. It appears to need to be plumbed, but looks like a great deal. Add a quality grinder and you will be making great espresso for years with it.
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
* 21st Anniversary 2000-2021 *

tyw13 (original poster)

#3: Post by tyw13 (original poster) »

Thanks! I'm hoping it doesn't need to be plumbed I was told by someone else that there's a water tank otherwise that'll be a pain for me

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

You'll almost certainly have to replace parts, fix seals, check for continuity, etc. The good news is that this is a parts bin machine, so the parts you need are generic and easily available. The bad news is that you'll need to know how to do it. Look through the Repairs and Restoration forum to see what you might be in for.

If you can do basic home electrical and plumbing repairs, you'll be fine. If that's not your thing; used machines might not be the way to go.
Jim Schulman
★ Helpful

homeburrero
Team HB

#5: Post by homeburrero »

Looks like an early Rocket Giotto Evoluzione. Serial number indicates a year 2010 machine. Video review from a vendor can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd6wcFVB9_I

In excellent condition it might easily fetch over $1000 here or on an eBay auction. The latest version of the Evo has some upgrades and sells new for around $2900 USD.

But be aware that It's possible that it might have a fatal defect if it has been stored in a subfreezing location with water in the boiler and HX.

tyw13 wrote:I'm hoping it doesn't need to be plumbed
It is switchable, can be plumbed or can use the built-in reservoir.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

tyw13 (original poster)

#6: Post by tyw13 (original poster) »

supposedly its brand new out of the box and never used. Hoping there's no issues with it!

tyw13 (original poster)

#7: Post by tyw13 (original poster) »

It looks like there's differences from the one in that video. There is no logo on the one I'm potentially purchasing and also the logo on the dial appears to be on the wrong side (right side not left) which is another thing raising my concern that it may be inauthentic

another_jim
Team HB

#8: Post by another_jim »

tyw13 wrote:it may be inauthentic
Um, these are generic machines, we call them "E61 boxes". It may be used, but it isn't inauthentic On the other hand, if you aren't expecting to do your own repairs, don't buy a hobbyist espresso machine, If you don't want to work up some skills in using it, don't buy a hobbyist machine. If you don't want to spend big bucks on a grinder ($500 and up), don't buy a hobbyist machine. It's not a deal; it's a hobby.
Jim Schulman
★ Helpful

tyw13 (original poster)

#9: Post by tyw13 (original poster) »

I would be fine doing the repairs. Im just getting into it and figured this would be a good initial machine. I was just concerned that it is potentially a fake machine based off what I was reading on the rocket website citing fake rocket machines being sold. Just trying to see if anyone was familiar with this particular model to confirm I'm not getting ripped off

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

homeburrero wrote:But be aware that It's possible that it might have a fatal defect if it has been stored in a subfreezing location with water in the boiler and HX.
That's really the main consideration. If it heats and pressurizes to brew pressure range against a blind filter, then refurbishing it is more than likely limited to gasket and O-ring replacement. If the machine was stored with water in freezing temperatures, then the cost of repairs will quickly exceed its value.
Dan Kehn