Is there a gold standard grinder that doses accurately by weight? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JR_Germantown

#21: Post by JR_Germantown »

Randy G. wrote:I have wondered what the benefit of spending the money (as much as $3000 to $6000) on a sophisticated grinder to dose accurately when you have a mass of beans left it in from day to day. I can see the benefit of speed and accuracy in a commercial situation but it seems counter-intuitive in home use: Accurately dosing stale(ing) coffee beans that have spent days exposed to the air in order to speed the morning routine.
Well said.

In the quest for the ultimate grinder, we seem to forget the use-case differences between home and shop.

The "best" shop grinder may be nothing like the best" home grinder.

Jack

Randy G.

#22: Post by Randy G. replying to JR_Germantown »

Thank you, Jack! I went from a Rancilio Silvia which was a good 'starter' grinder in 2000, to a Mazzer Kony about 8 years later which I modified to single dosing to be useable in the home, to a Kafatek MC3 which requires single dosing. My philosophy evolved to understand that after spending that amount of money and dedicating that much space in the kitchen, that a little extra time in prep is worth the effort for better coffee. This forum is about 'exceptional coffee' is it not?

There are a lot of miles between Folger's coffee crystals and exceptional espresso. I know that we each have to decide where to stop along that road. Few understand or experience or appreciate the value of a $500 burrset, but to not spare a bit of time to accurately dose (pre or post grinding), that is a compromise I will not make. There have been a few good suggestions in this topic. As a retired teacher I feel the need to put the information out there. I enjoy leading the horse to water, but the horse alone needs to decide if there is a thirst.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
LewBK

#23: Post by LewBK »

Isn't this what the Acaia Orbit Eclipse is supposed to solve: https://acaia.co/products/orbit

JR_Germantown

#24: Post by JR_Germantown replying to LewBK »

I like the looks of that!

Jack

Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

[quote="lagoon]So you put 1-2 days worth in the hopper. 2 second purge before the first shot of the day and then you're good to go. Fast, accurate on demand grinder is ideal for this.[/quote]

This works to my satisfaction, too, although special cases get special handling. But I don't have a $3,000 shop grinder, either. There are many (Atom/Eureka, Fiorenzato, Ceado, Compak, ad infinitum) on-demand grinders that are accurate to within 0.1g most of the time. Reviews used to frequently show deviations in output over 10 or 20 shots, along with various retention calculations.

The question is about gold standard grind by weight grinders, but it looks like your criteria is more about 0.1g accuracy and quality with a degree of convenience, and whether single dosing is right for you.
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.

lagoon

#26: Post by lagoon »

charlesaf3 wrote:You have the 65 and like it I assume?
I have the timed version, not the gravimetric. It's a wonderful grinder.

As mentioned, our household pulls a respectable volume of shots, 40-50 a week and it hasn't missed a beat.

charlesaf3 (original poster)

#27: Post by charlesaf3 (original poster) »

good to know thanks.

I like my Compak as a grinder, it's just the variation I'd like to improve from. At around the 3k level I think one is probably maxing out the quality of the grinder per current tech.

I am curious if you find the flat burrs to matter, but once again at that level I really doubt they do

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#28: Post by baldheadracing »

As an aside, I noticed that the Mignon Libra seems pretty good at grind by weight in vendor videos, e.g., from idrinkcoffee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6INYkOxXeoA

Commercial grinders need to balance speed of dosing against accuracy. The Libra doses slower so it may well be more accurate than commercial grinders ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

charlesaf3 (original poster)

#29: Post by charlesaf3 (original poster) »

Been a year or so since I posted this, so I thought I'd throw out if there has been any improvement or certainty out there.

My compak single dose e10 remains fine. But I would prefer not to have a scale involved still. At least in the AM

LittleCoffee

#30: Post by LittleCoffee »

Nope - the Sette still offers unparalleled gbw performance for the price point (even after you've paid for the ear plugs) :D