Is there a flat burr (at least 64mm) manual/hand grinder being sold?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mdmvrockford

#1: Post by mdmvrockford »

The question is in the title of this tread. I asking because of curiosity. I already own a motorized 64mm flat burr grinder (SuperJolly) and manual/hand 68mm conical burr grinder (Pharos).

I apologize in advance if they or many exist. I did try searching topic first before this post.

Good explanation of inherent design problems and R&D and marketing:
Making a hand grinder with flat burrs

Why one likely not exist or if they do why there would be rare:
Is it not possible for a manual grinder to use flat burrs?
LMWDP #568

OldNuc

#2: Post by OldNuc »

No, the dynamics of a flat burr grinder argue strongly against armstrong power. After all the complaining about the difficulty in cranking the early Lido-2 and Pharos you would not be able to handle the racket a flat burr grinder of that size would cause. Would be an instant fail in the market place.

Advertisement
Bluecold

#3: Post by Bluecold »

OldNuc, the country living grain mill and our own Jim Schulman's review of it might argue against your assessment of 'the dynamics of a flat burr grinder'
Titan Manual Grinder
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

OldNuc

#4: Post by OldNuc »

Please note the length of the lever arm and the design of those grain mill burrs. You can make decent drip grind coffee in a grain mill, maybe. There are no flat burr manual coffee grinders on the market. The horizontal shaft, vertical flat burr mills usually are clamped to sturdy tables.