Is Mahlkonig EK43 worth it for home use? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
namelessone

#11: Post by namelessone »

Maybe have a look at the new Wilfa flat burr grinder which will be out in a few weeks?

CwD

#12: Post by CwD »

russel wrote:I would be very interested to know how the OP would characterize their relationship with coffee making and what it is they want to get out of it. These are the things that will determine the "value" that various bits of equipment have to offer.
Couldn't agree more. Can't know where to look without knowing what you're looking for.

Advertisement
Capac (original poster)

#13: Post by Capac (original poster) »

For people interested, I'm a geek and I like things to be better than just good - the only barrier is money. If it's 95% there for 1/2 the price, it's good enough.

A local specialty shop uses guatemala; wouldn't it be pretty close for pour over to the ek?

As for the new wilfa with flat burrs and OE apex, I don't think we know enough about them at this moment.

RyanJE

#14: Post by RyanJE replying to Capac »

Maybe not, but if you are happy with 95% of the way for 1/2 price (or less) then bunzilla is your answer. if you want a smaller footprint and ready to go grinder, seriously consider a baratza vario or forte with brew burrs. It appears the wilfa has slightly larger version of the same burrs though, and for less money. So, maybe dont dismiss it just yet.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Capac (original poster)

#15: Post by Capac (original poster) »

Bunns aren't really availible in Europe.

I could get a vario with steel burrs (500eur total + I'd have a spare ceramic set for espresso) or forte bg (800eur worth it over vario?). I'm just not sure how they compare to bulk grinders.

I haven't found any info (besides price of around 400eur) on the new wilfa yet.

One thing I don't like about grinders like baratza and other home grinders is that they won't really last that long.

CwD

#16: Post by CwD »

I really don't think a Bunnzilla's 95% (IMO more like 80% to maybe 85% in taste, and in terms of extraction yield only ~75% even with very overly optimistic numbers), and have no reason to think a Guatemala would perform any better.

taelvin

#17: Post by taelvin replying to CwD »

What would you say is 95%? Also I have been considering a bunnZilla because a nice used G1 has come along locally and would love to read more about its extraction yield of you could point me in the right direction :-) I am still on the fence but the bunnzilla with the SPP burrs seems to be a good value in comparison to something new retail

Advertisement
CwD

#18: Post by CwD replying to taelvin »

I don't think there is a 95% option for less money.

I still think Bunnzilla's a great option (better or equal to anything before the EK), especially if you're willing to put in the work to align it properly with the sandpaper method (shims are not serious alignment). It's still going to be a couple percent behind, but that's not a couple percent out of 100%, it's a couple percent out of an about ~10% range.

Also to note, if we were going off what an ideal grinder could give as 100% instead of the EK as 100%, then IMO an EK is getting no more than 70% of the way there, tops.

swjeon

#19: Post by swjeon »

I am happy with it for my home use.

I typically brew/pull 50-60 cups a week and know its worth the money for me.

Some may say there are better machines out there for the money and etc, but I am bias because
I've always liked mahlkonig and it does exceptional job.

Capac (original poster)

#20: Post by Capac (original poster) »

I think it's a good idea to wait for the wilfa to be released - looks like a slightly cheaper vario with scale and a touch bigger burrs.