Is the La Marzocco Linea Mini still relevant

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Elliot

#1: Post by Elliot »

In my search for my new machine, something keeps pulling me to the LMLM. Specht makes GORGEOUS ones that are just a few hundred bucks more than the black and walnut from LM Home in Seattle. A compelling offer.

I guess the question is if at $6-7k, or closer to $9k for a GS3 with wood accents, is there a compelling reason here other than wanting a LM. Totally a good reason, don't get me wrong. Build quality is surely there. Consistent, easy to service anywhere in the States, though it certainly helps that I am 25 miles north of Seattle.

Is there something to be said for a "simpler" machine? I got my head all in the world of Decent and E1 Prima, etc., but am now wondering. . .

With a Strietman at home, I have what one could argue is the ultimate flow profiling machine. So for a pump machine, it may be wiser to just get something consistent that I can make a good coffee with when I am too stressed at work for the ritual of Strietman. Turn it on, press a button, get really damn good coffee.

Mostly musing here but figured it's a reasonable conversation if you have an opinion to share.

And, yes, I am well aware that an LMLM is not likely to make coffee that is twice as good as an ECM or anything. Diminishing returns is real in everything.

drH

#2: Post by drH »

I also love the look of those Specht modified machines. They can probably fit a needle valve or gear pump to give you flow profiling for less than the cost of a GS3.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by PIXIllate »

Elliot wrote:
And, yes, I am well aware that an LMLM is not likely to make coffee that is twice as good as an ECM or anything. Diminishing returns is real in everything.
I think it might be convincingly argued that if you are interested in lighter roasts the ECM with flow control may produce better results.

The LMLM is quite limited in terms of what it can offer as far as extraction parameter control.

atao
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by atao »

I've had a LMLM for about 4yrs and before that a dual boiler e61. A year ago I modded my machine to have slayer style preinfusion.

So what I can say is that at least for me:
  • I think having adjustable preinfusion is quite valuable for light roasts. I'm really glad to have it. I def think it makes a difference.
  • My LMLM 'feels' so much nicer to use than my old less solid e61. And I love the steam power
If I had to get a brand new machine, I'd probable lean towards a slayer single group because I'd want all of the benefits mentioned above but also I wouldn't have to mod it to get there.

With that said, could a Bianca make just as good coffee? Almost surely.

Elliot (original poster)

#5: Post by Elliot (original poster) »

drH wrote:I also love the look of those Specht modified machines. They can probably fit a needle valve or gear pump to give you flow profiling for less than the cost of a GS3.
I have been GUSHING over those. Even their ready mades, which ship for just a few hundred more than a black and walnut from LM Home direct. With the needle valve and all that, I ask myself the question: If I want that control, why would I not just use my Strietman. That's full control.

With the apps supposed ability to increase preinfusion time, I probably no longer worry about light roasts, so that's a problem solver.

RJB83
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by RJB83 »

The app pre-infusion apparently isn't true preinfusion. I saw a video where someone recommended not increasing it beyond a second or two.

drH

#7: Post by drH »

Yeah, it just pulses the pump, but you can set a wait period after the pulse to let the puck infuse. It's probably helpful even if not true pressurized preinfusion.

DaveC

#8: Post by DaveC »

Elliot wrote: And, yes, I am well aware that an LMLM is not likely to make coffee that is twice as good as an ECM or anything. Diminishing returns is real in everything.
It's quite possible that the coffee won't be any better....unless you're talking one of the very cheap ECMs, but you do get to own a LM machine, if that's what you really want. Which does seem to be a major factor in people's decision. Buy what you really want....don't worry about the specifications.

is the La Marzocco stil relevant? the title of the post....I would say as relevant as it was when it was launched....nothing happened to change that. If you had asked a different question, e.g. is it good value for money, is it more reliable, does it produce a better cup, more functions etc..? the answer might be different.

JE

#9: Post by JE »

The LMLM is "relevant" if it best fits your workflow.

My wife and I searched for our first home espresso machine. Realizing it will be an extremely frustrating start, we leaned towards something that could pull shot after shot during dial-in as a newbie. Also expected to toss out many pitchers of milk, and didn't want to wait in-between shots or pitchers before struggling again. So, it was kind of like using it in a catering business in terms of number of drinks made in a short period of time.

The speed of the LMLM made learning to make drinks a lot less frustrating as there was almost no waiting for the LMLM to be ready for the next task.

After a few months, the LMLM along with a Eureka Atom 75 grinder fits our morning workflow very well
(1) LMLM powers up according to pre-programmed schedule using the app. Everything (but cups) hot in 15 minutes.
(2) short flush while I purge grinder
(3) pull shots
(4) steam milk
(5) clean machine while sipping drinks
All with minimal waiting time or flushing between steps

Our LMLM is not next to a sink, so I appreciate the drip tray - easy to remove and transport with no dripping.

There is no single Universal Ultimate machine for everybody. If it existed, it would be the only machine on the market.

mathof

#10: Post by mathof »

Elliot wrote:
With a Strietman at home, I have what one could argue is the ultimate flow profiling machine. So for a pump machine, it may be wiser to just get something consistent that I can make a good coffee with when I am too stressed at work for the ritual of Strietman. Turn it on, press a button, get really damn good coffee.
When you don't want the "ritual" of using the Strieitman, by which I suppose you meant careful attention to temperature and pressure on the lever, which is necessary for getting the best out of light coffees, why not just pull an easy-to-extract medium or darker coffee? You won't have to be so precise, and you'll get the same results you would with any other competent machine.