Is an espresso machine with 58mm portafilter and PID possible under $800 budget?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Westchester

#1: Post by Westchester »

I'm debating whether to gift my 4-year old Gaggia Classic (US version with 3-way solenoid valve and adjustable OPV) to a friend and buy a replacement but was hoping to spend less than $800 for something with PID. I realize that some levers are available in my price range (Robot or Europiccola) and temp control wouldn't really be a concern but I'm not ready for that right now. I also would really prefer a 58mm portafilter so I can keep my accessories, so the Lelit Anna with PID isn't a good fit. Besides buying a new Gaggia Classic and modding it, are there any other options if I want to buy new, or should I just look for used? If it matters, I have used my steam wand exactly 1 time in the past year so frothing ability, or even capability, isn't something I care about. Thanks!

jgood

#2: Post by jgood »

If you really don't need steam and if it's possible to stretch the budget a bit, I would suggest a Quick Mill Carola - it's essentially 1/2 half (the espresso half) of a QM 67 double boiler for about 1/2 the price. I have had one for several years and it's a quality E61 machine. The current model has the PID. Chris Coffee is the only US vendor.

K7

#3: Post by K7 »

Lelit Glenda, 800USD
In the US, 1st Line and Cafe Last seem to sell them.
I think single boiler with PID is ideal if you don't need to steam much.

Westchester (original poster)

#4: Post by Westchester (original poster) »

Ah, yes, I didn't realize the Glenda was under $800. Looks like it might be the answer. Thank you.

#5: Post by Westchester (original poster) »

Carola looks good though it's about a $300-$400 stretch. I appreciate that someone is doing an E61 without a steam wand though.

spressomon

#6: Post by spressomon »

Look for a deal on a clean used Breville BDB. Seems to be a few around in the <$1000 range. That's what I'd do.
No Espresso = Depresso

coffeechan

#7: Post by coffeechan »

The Bezzera Hobby from Whole Latte Love is another contender in this area. Head to youtube or Whole Latte Love website for videos and specs. Edit: This has no PID but 58mm portafilter.

Solis Perfetta from Seattle Coffee Gear has 54mm and adjustable temperature. This is a thermoblock machine.

HoyaZot

#8: Post by HoyaZot »

spressomon wrote:Look for a deal on a clean used Breville BDB. Seems to be a few around in the <$1000 range. That's what I'd do.
I'm considering selling my Oracle (see post history re why). It's in good condition, but I'm starting to want to upgrade.

OP if you decide you want to go the BDB route this could be an option for you. Especially if you already have a solid grinder.

#9: Post by Westchester (original poster) replying to HoyaZot »

Just read your post and the thread. I'll be on the lookout in case you decide to upgrade. I just purchased a Specialita so I (hopefully) won't feel the need to upgrade my grinder for awhile.

On the Oracle, can you do the mods that can be done on the BDB?
Thanks.

Ad-85

#10: Post by Ad-85 »

OE-1 would be interesting, they are aiming for 800$ but you have to wait for it since it's in pre-production stage.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram