Is DE1 Pro an overkill for home use

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mastermind6688

#1: Post by mastermind6688 »

I almost decided to get DE1+ but they stopped selling it now. I am not sure if DE1 Pro is right for me.

I normally drink 1 drip and 1 espresso based drink (latte or long black) in a day. I like light roast beans. BBE was my first Espresso machine and I sold it before I head out for a long vacation. I was happy with my BBE after I get Niche Zero and I start to fall in love with tinkering around different factors to improve my coffee. My biggest complaints about BBE are temp control and milk steaming. I was going to choose DE1+ because of the size and the ability to set up a profile then use it repeatedly to generate a similar taste I want.

The price difference between DE1+ and Pro makes me rethink whether I really need this machine for home use, or maybe I should get Bianca or even Mara X is cheaper to meet my need. I would love to get some input to help me make final decision.

megamixman

#2: Post by megamixman »

In before someone else says BDB. Seriously... get a Breville Dual Boiler. Its got all the features you need until you can make a decision on what kind of espresso machine you want based on what you want and not what other people think.

mmntip

#3: Post by mmntip »

If your biggest complaint about the BBE is temp control, don't get an E61, they're all worse in that department. As far as if a Decent Pro is overkill for the home, I can personally attest that it isn't.

mastermind6688 (original poster)

#4: Post by mastermind6688 (original poster) »

megamixman wrote:In before someone else says BDB. Seriously... get a Breville Dual Boiler. Its got all the features you need until you can make a decision on what kind of espresso machine you want based on what you want and not what other people think.
Could you share more about why do you think BDB is good? Can I set a certain profiles on BDB and use them repeatedly? I know there are many MOD suggested in the forum, but I am not sure I am good enough to do those without making terrible mistakes to destroy my machine :)

luvmy40

#5: Post by luvmy40 »

You can't program different profiles with the BDB. What you can do, out of the box is program PI duration, PI pressure and brew temperature, brew time or volume. You can also flow/pressure profile manually to a limited degree with no modifications. It's luck of the draw as to how much range you have in profiling with no mods, but a very easy and free mod is to just move the micro switch that disables the group head when opening the water valve. This does cause you to lose the water spigot for normal operation, but that is no great loss.

#6: Post by mastermind6688 (original poster) »

One more question, is DE1 pro smaller than BDB? I checked the dimensions online says BDB is smaller than DE1Pro. I thought DE1 looks much smaller in the picture. I have a shallow counter space so I can't have those machines with more than 18" depth

BDB:14.1" x 14.6" x 14.7"
DE1 Pro: 68cm x 50cm x 38cm (26.77" 19.7" 14")

mmntip

#7: Post by mmntip replying to mastermind6688 »

Don't know where you got those dimensions, but they're wrong. The Decent is 36cm x 32cm x 22 cm (14" x 12.5" x 8.5").

megamixman

#8: Post by megamixman »

The DE1 Pro is not overkill for home use. It's overkill for any beginner. The BDB provides you with the critical features you need to easily dial-in new beans, make consistent shots without having to hyper-stress the puck prep, and gives you access to milk drinks with very dry steam. You don't even need to mod it.

Just because the DE1 Pro can repeat profiles doesn't mean your coffee will. There are a whole host of variables that are entirely driven by your human interactions, including bean choice and age, grind consistency, water quality, and what I'd argue is the biggest variable: puck prep. Learning to balance these to get good consistent shots with a BDB then sets you up to use DE1 profiles to repeat shots or even play with flavors. But in the grand scheme of things, these will be minor in comparison to the bigger choices you have and a lot people skip straight over this variability and jump straight into "profiling shots".

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

The DE1 can overwhelm a beginner with options. I consider 90% of the supplied profiles as either variants of the same thing, or just marketing fluff. Start with a classic profile like Default, learn how to make espresso with a conventional, medium-dark blend first. Then you can start to explore some of the better, user-supplied profiles. Take the time to understand how they taste different and perhaps why that might be, as well as which profile works better for you, your grinder, and your choice of coffees. As an example, the ones I prefer for lighter roasts make a bitter mess of classic, "espresso" roasts.

#10: Post by mastermind6688 (original poster) »

mmntip wrote:Don't know where you got those dimensions, but they're wrong. The Decent is 36cm x 32cm x 22 cm (14" x 12.5" x 8.5").
https://decentespresso.com/parts?filter ... MBV4-00336 This is where I see the dimension