Inexpensive Scale?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jyl

#1: Post by jyl »

Hi folks, what are you using for a waterproof 0.1 gram scale that is short (front-to-back 5" or so), and that is inexpensive?

I know there is the Brewista, Lunar, etc but I'm not going to spend $200 for a scale and even $80 seems spendy. Sorry I am such a cheapskate.

Thank you.
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.

babalu120483

#2: Post by babalu120483 »

I just ordered this from Amazon

Coffee Scale with Timer Small,Espresso Scale with Timer Small,Coffee Scale with Timer Waterproof,Coffee Scale Timer,Coffee Scales with Timer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K8N552G/

It should arrive today, I'll let you know how it does.

Advertisement
smite

#3: Post by smite »

I have had this one for about 10 years and its still going strong. It doesn't have any fancy features like Bluetooth or an app but it works well and the battery lasts a really long time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RF3XJ2/

mckolit

#4: Post by mckolit »

I bought the Jennings CJ4000 scale which is only accurate to .5 grams. I bought it for the response time. The cheaper scales have better accuracy to .1 grams, but the response times could be half a second or more. That could throw off the response times if weighing during the shot.

jyl (original poster)

#5: Post by jyl (original poster) »

Thanks! These are some options I hadn't run across.

My drip tray is quite shallow. That's why the scale I bought doesn't work to weigh shots as they are being pulled.

Up to now, I've been weighing the ground coffee, pulling into a flask marked with millimeters and then weighing the flask, to learn the approximate brew ratio and approximate gram to ml conversion. However, crema really throws it off. Little crema: 50 ml ~ 50 g. Lots of crema: 70 ml ~ 50 g.
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.

keith023

#6: Post by keith023 »

I have the same scale mentioned earlier:

It works well.

sideman7

#7: Post by sideman7 »

I got this one locally at a Target: https://www.target.com/p/taylor-digital ... A-53280869 and have been pretty happy with it so far. It claims it's accurate to .01 gram. It's small though, good for an espresso cup... I can balance the grinder bin on it as well. For $11, I can't complain.

Advertisement
jgood

#8: Post by jgood »

Not sure if this scale works for you -- I've been using it for years. I bought it before I had an espresso machine for cooking. It's only to the nearest gram, but for me, it's good enough. I certainly can't stop a pour more accurately than the scale will show. It's from Lee Valley (mail order). They have a free shipping event every few months.
Mini Digital Kitchen Scale
09A04.10 Additional views $14.95

Bret

#9: Post by Bret »

keith023 wrote:I have the same scale mentioned earlier:

It works well.
I also have this scale and it works well. It has a low profile so it is easy to pull directly into the cup instead of of shot glass. It isn't waterproof, but tolerates drips and such from above well. I flush my steam wand into the drip tray, and once that caused some water to get inside the battery compartment (on the bottom).

I normally remove the scale from the tray before steaming, but have forgotten a few times. It locked up one of those times, so I ordered another one assuming I had ruined it. But I put it up on the cup warmer with the battery cover off, battery out. Once it dried out, it was fine. So I have a back up on hand in case I make that mistake again.

My machine has a shot timer, so I don't need a scale that times the shot for me, and the high end scales that I am aware of all tend to be tall, which would just cause me trouble. This one is inexpensive, sensitive to 0.1 grams, thin, auto-tares when you turn it on with the cup in place. It's a winner for me.

mrjag

#10: Post by mrjag »

Bret wrote:I also have this scale and it works well. It has a low profile so it is easy to pull directly into the cup instead of of shot glass. It isn't waterproof, but tolerates drips and such from above well. I flush my steam wand into the drip tray, and once that caused some water to get inside the battery compartment (on the bottom).

I normally remove the scale from the tray before steaming, but have forgotten a few times. It locked up one of those times, so I ordered another one assuming I had ruined it. But I put up on the cup warmer with the battery cover off, battery out. Once it dried out, it was fine. So I have a back up on hand in case I make that mistake again.

My machine has a shot timer, so I don't need a scale that times the shot for me, and the high end scales that I am aware of all tend to be tall, which would just cause me trouble. This one is inexpensive, sensitive to 0.1 grams, thin, auto-tares when you turn it on with the cup in place. It's a winner for me.
Ditto. There are many vendors selling rebadged versions of this scale and they all seem to work equally well. You should be able to pick one up for $10 with free shipping from Amazon.