In search of a batch brewer

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
Elliot
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Elliot » Oct 08, 2019, 12:56 pm

Hi all-

As batch brewers continue to improve, it is perhaps time to give one a try again. It's been years since I used one and I typically make filtered coffee in a V60, Chemex or the occasional French press.

From controlling temp to bloom and more, I'm wondering if it's time to retire (for the most part) all that manual work for my filtered coffee.

Heard good things about Wilfa, Technivorm, the newer Breville ones and several others...

I'd probably be brewing one batch a day in the 700-750g of water sorta range. Grinding on a Eureka Mignon Brew Pro and to-order.

What do you use? What do you like about it? What DON'T you like about it.

Direct me, oh wise ones.

[creative nickname]
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by [creative nickname] » Oct 08, 2019, 1:02 pm

My Bonavita brewer is going on seven years old and still working perfectly. It makes a fantastic pot of coffee. My main pet peeves are as follows. (1) The shower screen is a bit close to the coffee when you brew a full batch, and this sometimes causes a bloom to touch the showerhead, making for a bit of extra cleanup. (2) I wish the showerhead had more and smaller holes so that it wet the bed a bit more evenly. Despite these complaints, I really cannot complain too much, as this brewer was inexpensive, has lasted far longer than most consumer appliances, and delivers really consistent and amazing results in the cup.
LMWDP #435

jbviau
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by jbviau » Oct 08, 2019, 5:01 pm

If you'd like to maintain control over brew temp., I'd recommend the Behmor Brazen Plus. Is there another option that allows temp. control? If so, I'm unaware. Mine works well, and I like how water is heated directly above the brew basket (i.e. minimal plumbing). Its pros and cons are mentioned here fairly regularly. Search away!

p.s. I often see these on sale at Sur La Table.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Elliot
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Elliot » replying to jbviau » Oct 08, 2019, 5:09 pm

Yeah, that was on the list as well.
A "2.0" came out somewhat recently, I think.

fiechtl5

#5: Post by fiechtl5 » Oct 08, 2019, 9:10 pm

I'll second the recommendation for the Brazen. It's got a nice large shower head and does descent with smaller quantities as well. It can also be used with some manual pour over devices if they are short enough. It is beneficial to have a programmable preinfusion with lighter roasts also.

Elliot
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Elliot » Oct 09, 2019, 3:14 pm

Anyone use the new(ish) Breville Precision?
Obviously there are other very good options, but it seems like the Brazen and that Breville are a bit ahead of Moccamaster.

triodelover

#7: Post by triodelover » Oct 09, 2019, 4:32 pm

Elliot wrote:Hi all-

As batch brewers continue to improve, it is perhaps time to give one a try again. It's been years since I used one and I typically make filtered coffee in a V60, Chemex or the occasional French press.

From controlling temp to bloom and more, I'm wondering if it's time to retire (for the most part) all that manual work for my filtered coffee.

Heard good things about Wilfa, Technivorm, the newer Breville ones and several others...

I'd probably be brewing one batch a day in the 700-750g of water sorta range. Grinding on a Eureka Mignon Brew Pro and to-order.

What do you use? What do you like about it? What DON'T you like about it.

Direct me, oh wise ones.
My, you are a busy little beaver. :lol: I've had my Techivorm for 15 years or so and I still love it. Have to do pre-infusion manually but that's not exactly "work". I also have a V60, a vacuum pot and a couple of Espro FPs but for that morning cuppa Joe (or 4) I always return to my Technivorm. I bought this a few weeks ago but haven't had time to really test it out yet.

Right now I'm using a Forté-BG for the grind, but I took delivery of a Kalita Nice Cut G last week and it, too, is waiting for evaluation. Why the Kalita? Well, it's such a cute little bugger in it's 30s Art Deco industrial look. And it's a third the cost of the Baratza. Of course it doesn't have the built-in scale or the fancy touch panel controls but I come from rugged pioneer stock (even grew up without a remote control for the TeeVee) so I'm sure I can tough it out.