IMS Big Bang baskets for 54mm espresso machines

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jmc999

#1: Post by jmc999 »

I've been looking at the ims big bang basket for 54mm, and was wondering if any of you had tried it.

So far I have the ims h24 and the Breville stock baskets, and have been getting reasonable results with both.

kye

#2: Post by kye »

I've got it and have compared it to the normal IMS precision basket and TBH I'm not sure I can tell any difference. I make only milk drinks, so maybe there's subtlety that is lost on me, but I taste my shots before adding milk and couldn't tell any meaningful difference outside of normal shot-to-shot variation. I also hate sour espresso and am generally very sensitive to bitter flavours (I'm a sweet tooth) and normal espresso is normally too strong for me, so I figure my palate is probably not completely tone-deaf.

I also inspected the extractions on the bottom of the basket between the two, as well as things like the shape of the spent pucks, bouncing back and forth over a period of a few weeks, but nothing stood out to me. I've been using the Big Bang for a while now and am probably due to go back and see if I can notice any differences after acclimatising to the new basket, but have been wondering what others thoughts are on it.

Petraidm

#3: Post by Petraidm »

I am interested in the Big Bang Baskets but in 58 mm. Has anyone else tried these?

danielbenson011992

#4: Post by danielbenson011992 »

I am debating getting this basket or not. Have you tested yet?

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by buckersss »

I just pulled the trigger on this. Order in transit.

kye

#6: Post by kye »

After more experimentation with mine, I've gone back to the normal IMS one. It seems to me that the problem with baskets is that the edges aren't extracted as much as the middle, but the Big Bang makes this issue worse rather than better.
I'd be interested if they released a Tiny Bang basket that had holes that went all the way to the edge, or were more densely spaced on the edges, to try and extract the edges more.

jmc999 (original poster)

#7: Post by jmc999 (original poster) replying to kye »

So, an uneven extraction leading to a worse flavor profile?

kye

#8: Post by kye »

I couldn't tell the difference, but I only have milk drinks and also have a bit of variation in shots, so any potential differences would have to be perceptible through those variables.
I also disliked the texture of the Big Bang basket too - the writing on the inside is rough and my normal IMS basket (which I assume has the nano coating) is much smoother and easier to knock out the puck cleanly and clean.
YMMV of course.