Improving 1st shot taste for latte

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Aficionado

#1: Post by Aficionado »

Using a Gaggia classic with helor 101 currently.

If I only make 1 latte a day, and want a significantly better 1ST Shot taste, what should I minimally upgrade to?

intermediate user here. have already learned the ins and outs of my machine (e.g. temperature surfing).

HoldTheOnions

#2: Post by HoldTheOnions »

What's your budget? Reality is you will need to spend a lot money for noticeable improvement in latte quality. I've used all the popular budget machines, delonghi to gaggia, to breville to silvia with PID, and not much difference between them for latte quality, IMO. Adding PID and silvia wand to your gaggia would helpful for achieving better consistency for not much money.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

First shot taste differences are usually a grinder issue, not an espresso machine issue. To test, first grind a few grams to purge the grinder, then grind for your shot. A more expensive solution would be to buy a zero retention or low retention grinder. But if you're fussy, there might still be an issue. For example, the Sette is reputed to be a low retention grinder, yet it too needs a few grams through it to get rid of the retained grinds. Note, you don't have to grind a bunch...for the Sette about 2-grams will do it (but the lowest predefined grind setting is 5 grams).

HoldTheOnions

#4: Post by HoldTheOnions »

Aren't hand grinders zero retention? I am guessing this has more to do with the machine.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas »

Aren't hand grinders zero retention?
:oops: Missed that. Agreed...not likely the grinder!

elbertfunkleberg

#6: Post by elbertfunkleberg »

Try reducing the pressure to about 6 bar and use a coarser grind. If it works you got an upgrade for free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghti27dMZb8

lim.calvinb

#7: Post by lim.calvinb »

Have you considered the Crossland CC1? I used to have it and have tried it side by side with the Gaggia, Silvia, Silvia with PID - and the Crossland still pulls much better shots overall. A second hand unit will cost around $400-500.

Mrboots2u

#8: Post by Mrboots2u »

Aficionado wrote:Using a Gaggia classic with helor 101 currently.

If I only make 1 latte a day, and want a significantly better 1ST Shot taste, what should I minimally upgrade to?

intermediate user here. have already learned the ins and outs of my machine (e.g. temperature surfing).
Better Coffee
Scales
Pid

Aficionado (original poster)

#9: Post by Aficionado (original poster) »

elbertfunkleberg wrote:Try reducing the pressure to about 6 bar and use a coarser grind. If it works you got an upgrade for free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghti27dMZb8
To be honest, I am already at the tightest (finest) setting, and it drips out 30g of espresso in 30s with 10g coffee. Any tighter and the machine chokes, or there will be water leaks through the sides of my bottomless PF.

Just to confirm I won't get any "upgrade" in taste from further upgrading my grinder right? And yes, my grinder is pretty much close to zero retention already.

Have considered the CC1 before, but heard of many nightmares on QC. Am not living in the states, hence warranty will be a PITA.

elbertfunkleberg

#10: Post by elbertfunkleberg »

Aficionado wrote:To be honest, I am already at the tightest (finest) setting, and it drips out 30g of espresso in 30s with 10g coffee. Any tighter and the machine chokes, or there will be water leaks through the sides of my bottomless PF.
Coarse is the opposite of fine.