Ideal espresso machine for a mobile coffee cart - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
godofgwar (original poster)

#41: Post by godofgwar (original poster) »

Ah, if you need to run indoors without 240? Ummm. You might have problems then.
Just trying to plan for every scenario, even if I end of running 95% of the business outside. The perfect machine in my head is a GS/3 (or similar) for these reasons: small size/weight, dual-boiler with lots of steam capacity, and 110V which would be an easy indoor transition. The real issues are that it's only one group (others have suggested needing at least two groups, but I'm not convinced yet. I see this as mostly a one-barista operation for a while) and it's obviously not made to be propane powered. I have an email in to Paul from HB forums who has experience converting machines to gas, so we'll see what he says.

Thanks again.

lsjms

#42: Post by lsjms »

Will a gs3 still have steam power with 3 americanos on order or can they do hot water flat out?

Two single groups would be nice but expensive.

A one group means a pathetic wait of a minute plus to serve the second flat white to a couple ordering at the same time, it's not just half as slow as a 2 group and makes for a painful service. Been there, I did a little job for a school and took a 1 group to make the lifting etc easy, it sucked, people think you just rocked up with the krups off your home counter. You could split shots, but then whats the point, might as well just have a kettle and Nescafe.

Don't plan for the 5%, make the right choices for the other 95 and when it gets weird hire a 240v genny and stick the extension in the window.

You can't gas a GS3 and nor will Kees gas an Idrocompresso, not enough room in the cases for a start
LMWDP #277

#43: Post by godofgwar (original poster) »

Don't plan for the 5%, make the right choices for the other 95 and when it gets weird hire a 240v genny and stick the extension in the window.
Solid advice, thanks.

lsjms

#44: Post by lsjms »

I missed that you have a T1 :shock: just get on with it! Seriously, that's more than enough machine to find out that you need a 2 group. And 110v? Just take that for the funny domestic jobs and get a proper dual fuel lever 8)
LMWDP #277

#45: Post by godofgwar (original poster) »

I missed that you have a T1 just get on with it! Seriously, that's more than enough machine to find out that you need a 2 group. And 110v? Just take that for the funny domestic jobs and get a proper dual fuel lever
Ha! Right now this would be an ideal machine based on everyone's suggestions:

http://www.coffeeclassicsdirect.co.uk/f ... ne-5-p.asp

Though finding it or something similar in the States doesn't seem all that simple.

#46: Post by godofgwar (original poster) »

Also, I'm discovering that getting all the health-code regs into a truly mobile cart is going to be very difficult, which is probably why carts in San Francisco are in very short supply. The hills are tricky, and a bike cart just won't work.

I'm floating around the idea of building a cart from the ground up into a small single-axle flatbed trailer. Any thoughts?

Clint Orchuk

#47: Post by Clint Orchuk »

Ha! Right now this would be an ideal machine based on everyone's suggestions:

http://www.coffeeclassicsdirect.co.uk/f ... ne-5-p.asp
Get an Astoria Rapallo with factory gas if you want something new. Beautiful two group lever with open groups. Bulletproof design.

#48: Post by godofgwar (original poster) »

Get an Astoria Rapallo with factory gas if you want something new. Beautiful two group lever with open groups. Bulletproof design.
Nice machine. Is it an HX or a dipper?

#49: Post by godofgwar (original poster) »

Just came across this Canadian company that builds espresso carts up to California health code.

http://www.apollocarts.com/550.php

They are insanely pricey, but the general idea is there (propane and battery powered, tow hitch, etc). I have an email in to them to see if they will sell the cart sans machine and grinder, or possibly do any custom jobs. Having the barebones cart would be a win, IMO.

-Chris

the_trystero

#50: Post by the_trystero »

lsjms wrote:Will a gs3 still have steam power with 3 americanos on order or can they do hot water flat out?

Two single groups would be nice but expensive.

A one group means a pathetic wait of a minute plus to serve the second flat white to a couple ordering at the same time, it's not just half as slow as a 2 group and makes for a painful service. Been there, I did a little job for a school and took a 1 group to make the lifting etc easy, it sucked, people think you just rocked up with the krups off your home counter. You could split shots, but then whats the point, might as well just have a kettle and Nescafe.

I did 4 hours at an art show two weeks ago with a 1 group lever because it's 120V, never again. Thankfully it was hot in the gallery and I had several gallons of cold brew on hand for the impatient. I really need to get the propane outfitted 2 group refurbished, and up and running.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon