Ideal espresso machine for a mobile coffee cart - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TomC
Team HB

#11: Post by TomC »

Not commenting on the business success rates of mobile carts here in the bay area, but only the accessibility of cheaper gear, you'll likely be able to score heavy duty gear for pennies on the dollar via Craigslist. There's always at least 6 or more failed espresso carts full of gear to be picked from or bought outright, rather than buying brand new. You've probably already taken this into consideration though, but just in case...
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

HB
Admin

#12: Post by HB »

For those following this thread, Chris cross-posted his question on CoffeeGeek here. For future reference, please avoid cross-posting for the reasons provided in Why is cross-posting strongly discouraged? Thanks.
Dan Kehn

godofgwar (original poster)

#13: Post by godofgwar (original poster) »

Sorry, Dan. I posted in CG first, but this audience definitely seemed more appropriate for the topic. Just trying to get all the info I can from multiple communities. But I'll definitely avoid cross posting in the future.

#14: Post by godofgwar (original poster) »

Looking at propane generators, that could be the way to go, so thanks for all the expertise.

Just trying to figure out if it's better to go with [possibly] two smaller generators or one larger one. Any dual boiler espresso machine will be at least 1600W, and most likely more. Two-group machines will push over 3000W, so with a grinder, hot water heater and fridge, my guess is that I'd need at least 5K watts of power to be safe. Even more for a two-group machine...

Chabeau
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Chabeau »

Have you decided against a lever machine with a propane-heated boiler as recommended?
"The percolations are imminent."

-C.M. Burns, c.1996

Al deHyde

#16: Post by Al deHyde »

"...propane generators..."
You do realize we are talking about using propane in a tank to supply gas to a burner which heats the boilers directly with propane flames, not using propane to generate electricity. Burning propane for directly heating the boilers, using levers to obviate the need for electrical pumps and using batteries for electricity (for the fridge, etc) and you have very low power requirements.

NOT like a home power generator that uses propane for fuel to make electricity for power outages. (I have one).

Just trying to make sure we are all on the same page. Apologize if I've misinterpreted your text.

another_jim
Team HB

#17: Post by another_jim »

You can get propane heaters for pump machine boilers too. A rotary pump is about 150 watts; a 2 group boiler about 4000 watts, big difference electrically. But the same boiler can be heated with a 15K BTU burner, which is small potatoes as far as gas heaters go.
Jim Schulman

#18: Post by godofgwar (original poster) »

Nope, you're right. I was interpreting it the other way around (propane to generate electricity). Sorry about that. I had no idea lever machines could be set up for gas/propane heating like that. Crazy. That definitely opens up a whole new level of possibilities.

I have some experience with lever machines, specifically a two-group spring-lever machine (which I loved), and a vintage manual-lever Cremina (which I didn't love). I assume lever machines are all HX, and some of them must be spring lever.

Of course, finding something that isn't an absolute beast (nothing over 100 pounds, and that's pushing it) but with a big enough boiler to produce a lot of drinks will take some research. If anyone has any suggestions of machines to look in to, I'm all ears.

Thanks for clarifying.
-Chris

Chabeau
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by Chabeau »

Some levers are HX and some are dippers, as mentioned earlier in this thread.
"The percolations are imminent."

-C.M. Burns, c.1996

lsjms

#20: Post by lsjms »

I think most of the companies refer to them as dual-fuel. Fracino Retro, Izzo Pompei, CMA astoria and others.
You cannot house a generator in a cart, too public to refuel etc. So they have to be run some distance away, on extensions, which only flys on private jobs, on a public street...
The inverter/big battery route mentioned above is what's done.

Get it right or stay flexible, you don't need custom £10k trailer, a 2 trestles and an old door will get you going, spend the money on machine, grinder and coffee, don't skimp on the battery and run out of juice at 2pm.

I did it all wrong to start, 5kva petrol genny, all electric set up. Even with derated element the system sucked, grinder changed speed, brains burnt out. Noisy, smelly and generally not part of the coffee cart dream I planned!

I now have an Izzo pompei, which seems, among a few others, ideal for mobile use, except it weighs a bit more than 100lb I reckon, twice as easy as the Kees to lift though. Bad choice
LMWDP #277