I want to upgrade my grinder for around $700 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
HotLava

#1: Post by HotLava »

Hi all,
I am starting to research new grinders. I solely drink espresso and already have a Breville smart grinder pro. It's not a terrible grinder. It's low retention easy to program. I'm looking for something with improved distribution and something with more micro adjustment capability that's build like a tank. Preferably in stainless to match my Breville dual boiler.

I am familiar with the Baratza Vario and sette 270wi but may up my budget because I really like the Fiorenzato F4e nano. If I stretch the budget a little more there is the eureka specialita also.

Between the Fiorenzato f4 and laspecialita which would you choose and why?
Joe

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Read the posts here on HB about the Niche. If matching the espresso machine is a priority, then don't read the posts about the Niche.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
HotLava (original poster)

#3: Post by HotLava (original poster) replying to Randy G. »

I didn't realize the Niche Zero came down in price. Some are selling for around $750. There are web sites still selling them for $1400. Not many sites even carry them. I'm in the US. I know of the reputation and good reviews. I had taken it out of consideration due to the price.
Joe

#4: Post by HotLava (original poster) »

I don't see anyone dosing directly into a portafilter with the Niche Zero. Is that an option? It's a feature that makes life easier.
Joe

foam2

#5: Post by foam2 »

i dose directly into a portafilter works great with a funnel. Don't really like dosing into a cup - I suppose if I spent more time figuring out the best way to get it consistent for me it would be ok.

LObin

#6: Post by LObin »

Many 3d printed stand options out there and a few other DIY ideas too.

I also thought the Niche grind cup would be an annoyance and extra step at first. Like many others, I actually don't mind it. I do WDT (stirring the grinds for better distribution) which is often needed with single dosing grinders, so I can either stir in the cup or in the portafilter. All and all, it's a 5 seconds extra step. Maybe.

I have a friend who owns an F4E and it's very solid. Pretty, efficient and sturdy. With the burrs aligned, it's a great performer. Better build quality than the Sette no doubt.

The Mignon Specialita has been getting lots of praises ever since its release. With the NZ in the mix, I guess it comes down to "single dosing vs hopper"...

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

#7: Post by HotLava (original poster) »

I read on some web site the baratza and specialita have a little less grind retention than the Fiorianzato. The laspecialita adjusts from below the motor. I question the durability of the design. The Vario plastic interface looks very cheap also. That's why I was leaning towards the F4. The F4 reminds me if an appliance your Grandmother or Grandfather had in their kitchen for 50 years that still runs.
Joe

Advertisement

#8: Post by HotLava (original poster) »

I'm looking to upgrade my grinder. It will need to pair with my breville dual boiler. Every time I think I found the holy grail of grinders, I stumble upon another grinder that seems equal or better. My budget is under $700. I want to single dose into a portafilter. It has to fit under my cabinets. Low retention. No clumping and good distribution. Single dosing or close. Built like a tank.

I thought the Fiorenzato F4 looked like the one. However I'm concerned about cleaning and changing burrs.

Then there's the niche zero but I would need to modify to dose into a portafilter and I don't want to mod a brand new grinder especially for the price.

I'm looking for the best bang for my buck that is easy to maintain and will last several lifetimes.

Help!!!!!!!!!
Joe

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

Your thread from this morning:
HotLava wrote:I am starting to research new grinders.
Your thread from this evening:
HotLava wrote:I'm looking to upgrade my grinder.
Please use a single thread for your grinder purchase decision; multiple threads on the same subject leads to needless repetition of previous suggestions. I've merged the two into your original. Thanks.
Dan Kehn

DeGaulle

#10: Post by DeGaulle »

HotLava wrote:I thought the Fiorenzato F4 looked like the one. However I'm concerned about cleaning and changing burrs.
Every grinder needs cleaning every once in a while. There are plenty of instructions on youtube on burr cleaning, typically using a Mazzer grinder as an example. The grind adjustment system and how to remove the upper burr carrier is identical for the Fiorenzatos.
If you are bothered about having to re-dial in after having cleaned the burrs, consider one of the Eureka grinders instead.

As far as burr replacement is concerned: with my old Compak K3 I ground some 25 kg/year, doing 3-4 shots a day on average. The manual advises to change burrs every 350 kg/h. Even at half that amount it would mean the burrs would still last 7 years. Just to give you an indication of expected burr lifetime on an entry level commercial grinder in a domestic setting. The F4E burrs should at least be as durable.
Bert