I have a Titan grinder. Should I get a Mahlkonig K30?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
KoffeeNewb

#1: Post by KoffeeNewb »

As the subject says
Is there any need in purchasing a K30 if I have a Titan conical?

Thanks!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

No.
Dan Kehn

HoldTheOnions

#3: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I wouldn't either unless you have already tried it and know it's better for you.

thecatch83

#4: Post by thecatch83 »

HB wrote:No.

FPNI

malling

#5: Post by malling »

If you already own a Titan Conical, You might want to upgrade your Espresso Machine first, before taking the plunge for a k30, if the machine is still a Gaggia Classic.

If you have gotten something more reliable than the Classic, then It might be worth it, but it dependent on what you prefer and how you like to use your grinder.

for example I wouldn't want to SD a k30, tried it but really hated it, far better if used as designed IMHO.

But if you decide for one, you should also consider looking out the Ceado E37s and Compak E8 with red speed burrs. And If you have loads of money to spend there is also the PEAK, EG-1, Anfim SP450 OD with TiN burrs and the up and coming Kafatek flatburr grinder.

lots of options out there, so find the one that suits your needs.

thepilgrimsdream

#6: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

I would take a K30 over a Robur. I find that flats can really balance out brighter coffees and get better extractions. the K30 is at a nice price point, I would really go for a peak though.....

KoffeeNewb (original poster)

#7: Post by KoffeeNewb (original poster) »

A peak?
Why not just go for a Ceado E37S
The peak seems relatively new, not sure if it is worth the price tag at this moment in time

aecletec

#8: Post by aecletec »

Different target of particle distribution, perhaps ease of use if QC issues are unresolved... Size stereotypes aren't always accurate... Especially depending on what beans you're using - most US roasts I see are much darker than what I see in Oz.
I find my flat and conical don't perform like others often write - the Anfim emphasises bright qualities and Robur the dark (similar to what Chris Tacy found in his review).
Are there any particle graphs for the Ceado grinders?

coffeebro

#9: Post by coffeebro »

Ive noticed a few local cafes seem to have swapped out Roburs for Mythos Ones although i rarely see them mentioned in threads like this.
All the write ups I see online seem to focus on heat stability and lack of retention which admittedly is a major plus. I asked two baristas at two cafes what they thought of them and they both had no idea what i was talking about. Both ended up referring me to more experienced staff. Needless to say, i couldnt gleam any decent info about difference in flavours between grinders.
One barista actually tried to talk me into a Mazzer Mini because "its just as good for home use".

Is there any reason Mythos Ones are rarely mentioned or recommended with other higher end flat burr grinders?

I think they look fantastic.

aecletec

#10: Post by aecletec »

Possibly price?
One of my favourite locals switched from Robur to Mythos back to Robur and has lots of past experience with other grinders.
My all time fav have tried K30s but sticks to Roburs. My recollection on comments is a bit vague - I'll ask again.