HX vs double boiler in the real world... - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
HB
Admin

#11: Post by HB »

JohnB. wrote:I can reduce or increase the temp on my Vivaldi, do a 2-3 oz flush & have full recovery in less then a minute.
True, but that only means the boiler is at the new setpoint. The grouphead, portafilter, and other metal bits need time to stabilize too. Depending on the espresso machine, you can shorten the transition time by flushing (e.g., flush... wait a couple minutes... flush... wait a couple minutes... short flush and pull).
Dan Kehn

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by JohnB. »

Even after a long idle period it only takes 2 short (2-3oz) warming flushes to bring the Vivaldi grouphead & p/f up to temp with a 50 sec waiting period between flushes for boiler recovery. That would be the most that was required after a temp change of a few degrees C. Thats a long, long way from the 1/2hr mentioned previously.
LMWDP 267

HB
Admin

#13: Post by HB »

Dave was probably thinking of large double boiler espresso machines like the La Marzocco, and to a lesser extent, the Expobar Brewtus. My point was that just because the Vivaldi's readout stops blinking after a change, doesn't mean that it's ready; as you noted, additional steps are required.
Dan Kehn

cannonfodder
Team HB

#14: Post by cannonfodder »

The larger machines like a single group LM take a while, the big multi group boxes take even longer. On something like Vivaldi I would give it 15-30 to stabilize. You can flush the group but you still have 50 pounds of copper and steel that needs to reach equilibrium. That takes a little time. As Dan stated you can speed the process with a bunch of flushes but I prefer to let it level out on its own, unless it is a big old 4 group that will take an hour or two.
Dave Stephens

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by JohnB. »

You're changing the brew boiler/group head/porta filter temp a degree or two C on a machine that is already up to temp. The steam boiler may not even be on & you are going to wait for a frame rail in the back to notice the slight change before pulling a shot?
LMWDP 267