How much would you pay for two Rancilio S27's plus MD50 grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jgrosjean

#1: Post by jgrosjean »

I'm talking to a local seller who has:

1 Rancilio s27 from around 1993 that "The company we bought it from did not tell us we needed to change the water filter every year so it got gummed up around 2000."

1 Rancilio S27 from around 2000 (replacing first machine) that was "carefully maintained, lightly used until we just decided it was taking up too much room on the bar, not using it enough so we put it in storage." Been in storage for 10 years.

1 Rancilio MD50 grinder purchased used in 1993 that was working when put in to storage 10 years ago.

They are asking $500 for the pair of machines and an extra $100 for the grinder.

These are coming from a small market area, I believe the lightly used part, but it's all pretty old. I've attached picture of the machine, which I know probably isn't worth much, but maybe can help:

Context is for home use and that I don't know that much about espresso... but like to drink it (and work shiny machines) and have been in the market for an espresso machine to play with. Had been planning on Gaggia classic or maybe ECM Casa V, but then found the above option locally. I realize a machine designed for home would be more practical, but assuming it generally works I think this setup would be fun for me.

Thoughts? Would you pay this much for machines this old? Is there a market for me to re-sell these items and get back the $600 if I decide I want a simpler setup?

Thanks,
Jesse

Coffcarl

#2: Post by Coffcarl »

Yes, i would repair both of the machines using new parts. Don't scavenge one to fix the other. Descale, replace seals, and sell one. You should easily recoup 300-400 for one of these, maybe more. The md50 is not the most refined grinder, but will be adequate.

You would easily pay 1500 for a comparable new machine and grinder. Not the sexiest, not an e61, but the result in the cup should be great. Not sure if these are plumbed in or tank, so you might need to consider that.

LObin

#3: Post by LObin »

I totally agree with Coffcarl. If repairs go well, at the end, you should get away with a free S27 and some spare change in your pocket ;)

Just check if the MD50 is 220v. Most of the commercial Rancilio grinders are. Not super convenient...
LMWDP #592

Kartman35

#4: Post by Kartman35 »

They're plumb machines but you can always run a flojet style setup.

If you do scavenge one to repair the other, I'll buy your leftover drip tray cover as my S24 is missing hers...

jyl

#5: Post by jyl »

Nice. I'd buy those at that price.
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.

jgrosjean (original poster)

#6: Post by jgrosjean (original poster) »

Still deciding on this... any recommended reading about working on appliances like this?

I'm a computer programmer and work in the "soft" world. Most real world debugging that I've done is change spark plug in lawn mower and clean out carburetor (it worked!). Is there a recommended small appliance repair book to get me oriented? And them maybe something a little more specific to espresso machines? Electricity and steam have me a bit worried.

Coffcarl

#7: Post by Coffcarl »

It's plumbing mostly, and these machines are built to last. Most likely will be replacing a few rubber seals, and descaling. Maybe removing and cleaning out a valve. Parts diagrams are available. I am a programmer as well, but i often see my job as analogous to a mechanic.

Because it is not an e61 machine (which i have not worked on), the grouphead is a lot simpler. You should be fine. Anyone here would love to have these and work on them as well. Worst case, take one to a shop to have it descaled and tuned. Probably cost you $200 on the outside assuming elecronic controls are ok.

jgrosjean (original poster)

#8: Post by jgrosjean (original poster) »

Well I did it!

I guess I'll either learn a lot of new stuff or learn that I should just click a button on Amazon and stick with typing at a computer:

Rancilio S27 - Restoration?

How to unstick Rancilio MD50 grind adjustment