Higher end HX espresso machines vs. lower end double boilers - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Niko

#31: Post by Niko »

RegulatorJohnson wrote:a double boiler is also essentially 2 machines using electricity... all day probably.

i have the vetrano. wanted brewtus.. but the WLL vs chris thing. the rotary. blah blah.

using the extra electricity was a deciding factor when i realized i would be running 2 heaters to heat 2 boilers.

jon
You can always turn off the steam boiler on the Vivaldi if you're only making espresso. A lot of Vivaldi owners leave their machines on 24/7 and with the heater on for the group boiler only, it costs next to nothing compared to most of those other machines mentioned. I think this puts it at around the same wattage as a Silvia (here in the States).

..and if you need milk, turn the steam boiler on and you're ready in about 8 minutes.

erics
Supporter ★

#32: Post by erics »

Bex -

"The Land of Southern Efficiency and Northern Charm"

By that, I assume you mean Washington, DC - see this: http://www.global-writes.com/v3i1/1003.lasso

If so, you are welcome to see an hx machine in operation anytime. If not, then if you could narrow down your locale a little more, you might be surprised to hear from posters in your area that have machines you are interested in.

Also, it would help a little if you described your normal routine a little - like 2 or 3 cappys a day, 1 or 2 espressos etc, etc. You do provide an excellent analysis of the similarity in costs of the various machines you might be interested in.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Advertisement
Bex (original poster)

#33: Post by Bex (original poster) »

erics wrote:Also, it would help a little if you described your normal routine a little - like 2 or 3 cappys a day, 1 or 2 espressos etc, etc. You do provide an excellent analysis of the similarity in costs of the various machines you might be interested in.
On weekdays, it's a chaotic rush to cram an espresso for me and a mocha for my wife in before dashing out the door. Unfortunately, my inability to be able to properly gauge when the Carezza is at the right temp for espresso is starting to wear on me. My sink shot to drinkable shot (and I have a high tolerance!) is 50/50. It's been enough to see me make a mocha for myself when I don't have time to try a second shot. (And this morning, the bad taste of the shot I made was powerful enough to cut through the milk, ugh.) The noise of the machine & the grinder may me loath to try to make anything before everyone else is awake.

On weekends, the pace is (slightly) more leisurely and allows for multiple attempts at espresso, with one or two milk drinks during the day. If we're entertaining, maybe once a month, I'd like to be able to make more of those, which is why I've eliminated a PID Alexia from consideration.

I am intrigued to see how the new VBM looks after it's released, too, to see more competition at the slightly higher price point. Though by the time I'm buying (late spring) the price on all these machines may be much higher.

*Also, I have a microwave on the only 20amp plug in my kitchen. So I am looking at 15amp machines. I really need to do a spreadsheet summarizing all the available machines, with fields for type, boiler size, reservoir size, 20 v. 15 amp, extra options required (PID, thermometer, etc.), pump type, grouphead type, pressure relief value, PF size, dimensions, and price w/ options.

zin1953

#34: Post by zin1953 »

luca wrote:I thought that I would go for the Australian equivalent of the BII as well, based on everything that I had read and seeing as I love the commercial dual boiler machines that I have used at the various cafes that I have worked at. Fortunately, I was in a position to actually get hands-on experience with all of the possible candidates and I found that other machines delivered espresso that was more to my taste.
Interesting aside . . .

There is a significant difference in the shots I pull from my La Val and the Olympia Caffarex. Now in the past, I may not have even noticed it! I did, because I have both machines at home, rather than having one in the office (yet). My only previous "switch" was the change from a Gaggia to the La Val, and if there hadn't been a difference, I would have been a little upset. :wink:

But in trying the two machines side-by-side, there is a significant difference, and -- as a relative newbie with some 20 years of experience using home machines like a Gaggia -- it was quite an eye-opener!

And now back to the main discussion . . .

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Bex (original poster)

#35: Post by Bex (original poster) »

A quick cut at a summary sheet:

Edit: Explanation re two "required" columns. "Stability option required" is my shorthand for "I need to add an option to this machine to make temperature control easier." "Steam option required" is based solely on whether available information suggests that the machine needs its steam wand upgraded.

Edit Edit: I will say, the chart is somewhat persuasive for the Anita. I do not expect the Brewtus to stay at the quoted price, but that's just baseless speculation on my part. An Anita & a Macap for the price of a Vivaldi, hmmm. Maybe I will find a way to try an HX first, though.

Bex (original poster)

#36: Post by Bex (original poster) »

An interesting (for me) update:

Perusing Chris' Coffee site, I saw that they have added this item. A Quickmill Alexia + PID, plus this Quickmill stand alone milk steamer would come in at the same price point as many of the machines I'm considering. The major benefits, though, of that route would be (a) I could start with just the Alexia and a nicer grinder, but (b) if I find later that setup is a drag for entertaining, I could get the QM milk steamer (and that device can be happily stored away when not needed).

Interesting, as the review here makes the Alexia w/ PID the overwhelming choice for me, were it not for the fear that I'll regret not having the ability to make 6 mochas some day...