High end grinder update time - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#11: Post by baldheadracing »

Espresso33 wrote: Why is there so little information and talk about the mazzer zm? Is it a good grinder on the same level as the other mentioned. If you get the one with espresso burrs
My guess would also be price. The ZM is over $4k in the USA, and $1k more than an EK43. The ZM Plus is $5.7k.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada
★ Helpful

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by buckersss »

Espresso33 wrote: Why is there so little information and talk about the mazzer zm? Is it a good grinder on the same level as the other mentioned. If you get the one with espresso burrs
Echoing what others said, the European market is different than the North American market. The latter seems to drive popular opinion more than the former here imo.

Another example would be the Anfim SPii. This grinder seems phenomenal. But it gets no attention. In fairness Anfim no longer makes the 120v version, and not many 120v versions were made from what I gather. None the less, I expect there are many of these in Europe. But very little discussion here regarding them.

BaristaBoy E61

#13: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Espresso33 wrote:Only "problem" i see is that its 64mm burrs. But whats your thoughts on that?

The Mahlkonig E65S burrs are the same flat burrs as in the Mahlkonig K30 Vario, 65mm that punch above their weight, probably because of the geometry and perhaps the quality of manufacturing by Mahlkonig.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

BodieZoffa

#14: Post by BodieZoffa »

Marshall wrote:The beans don't care what size the burrs are. But they do care how well made they are, and Mahlkonig's reputation is about the best. BTW if you check the archives, at one time it was gospel around here that you couldn't get a really good espresso without conical burrs. That's been put to rest.
True, but with conicals you can indeed achieve SUPERB espresso, bwahahaha...

ira
Team HB

#15: Post by ira »

I don't think so much it was conicals that were the answer but that long enough ago the best grinders were shop grinders and the really good ones of those were conicals, but even in the Titan grinder test, a shot from a Rocky came out among the best. And Marshall gave up on conical grinders quite early when he acquired a grinder with the DRM burr set, a grinder whose name I forget, though I think it ended with Junior.
I think conical grinders are much more forgiving of misalignment than large flats so until that became a thing, flat's didn't shine so much.

Marshall

#16: Post by Marshall »

To the OP: please forgive the OG nostalgia posts. :D
Marshall
Los Angeles

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by pizzaman383 »

Another option is to get SSP burrs for your major and also a conical.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

erik82

#18: Post by erik82 »

Have you thought of the Eureka Atom 75? Although I really like the build and grind quality of MK (owned a MK K30 Vario) it does have the advantage of being a true shop grinder and having a pretty large retention just like Mazzer grinders. A Eureka Atom won't perform less and is also super consistent with those great 75mm Mythos burrs with well proven track record. I do think Eureka has done a great job in the last couple of years making great grinders and they're pretty small compared to a MK or Mazzer.
★ Helpful

Andrewp

#19: Post by Andrewp »

ECM Titan is ALL you will ever need..

erik82

#20: Post by erik82 »

Can you explain that as the TS already has a 80mm grinder and you're recommending a 64mm grinder? That kind of feels like a downgrade.