High-end espresso machines - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#21: Post by baldheadracing »

Arafel wrote:...
6) Synesso Home: machine to come out in 2022. Can't really rate it yet, but I'm willing to wait. Many of my local coffee shops in Denver use Synesso machines, and the espresso is super tasty.
I'm super-curious about this machine as well, but wonder how it will differ over an MVP Hydra 1-group.

I'd add the Speedster with the Idro-matic option to your list.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

AssafL

#22: Post by AssafL »

If you do use a water leak detector, remember to put the sensor where you are sure to have water.

They are typically made for washing machines and dishwashers where they flood instantly and water goes everywhere. But an espresso machine may, due to all the gigglers and check valves have a rather slow leak. Not drips - but a few liters per minute. That means the water may make their way depending on the counter slope - and not to the sensor. Which will defeat the cutoff.

In a dishwasher, the detector is a float in the bottom of the appliance. But it is shaped like a basin and will always fill up in a leak. Still had a dishwasher leak once when the installer didn't bend the water output high enough (inverted U) and when the sink clogged the water exited through the dishwasher and the pump constantly tried to push the water back.

Maybe Bed Bath and Beyond or someone like that has a has a reasonably looking tray that the machine can stand on?
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by JohnB. »

wru wrote: Spressomon, i've had 3. All from the main solenoid failing to close completely and allowing a stream of water past, ultimately overfilling the steam tank while in power save. Nothing from plumbing, etc. Inside that solenoid is another consumable item which is not on the Slayer PM list - a seat ring that does in fact fail over time. There is an upgrade to this solenoid that can be made, and an even more simple solution is the LaMarzocco anti-vac install which then allows overfills to drain into the main drain box. Slayer should have done this from the factory.
The Speedster has had the vacuum & over pressure valves plumbed into the drain line since 2008. 12 years of use on mine & no wet counter yet.
LMWDP 267

BaristaBoy E61

#24: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

AssafL wrote:If you do use a water leak detector, remember to put the sensor where you are sure to have water.

They are typically made for washing machines and dishwashers where they flood instantly and water goes everywhere. But an espresso machine may, due to all the gigglers and check valves have a rather slow leak. Not drips - but a few liters per minute. That means the water may make their way depending on the counter slope - and not to the sensor. Which will defeat the cutoff
That is why the water senser is best placed under the espresso machine on top of a napkin or paper towel that will wick up even a slow leak and trigger a cutoff.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

ira
Team HB

#25: Post by ira »

I just laid out a PCB to mimic a sensor and daisy chain them so there's 2 sensors under the machine, a couple under the filter, one behind the fridge and two under the sink that all control the main supply to all of that.

Ira

boshk

#26: Post by boshk »

If money isn't a factor, consider LM Leva X single group but its big AND tall because of the lever.
You could always go for 2 machines, Londinium R24 lever to sup your current. Get best of both worlds.

If you really want to dab into pressure profiling though, Decent is the only true repeatable profiler, maybe Rocket R91. GS3MP and anything with manual Flow Control valves are never going to be consistent and repeatable, you can get very close.

AssafL

#27: Post by AssafL »

boshk wrote:If you really want to dab into pressure profiling though, Decent is the only true repeatable profiler, maybe Rocket R91. GS3MP and anything with manual Flow Control valves are NEVER going to be consistent and repeatable, you can get very close.
I spent a long time creating my own flow profiler / repeater. Very accurate. But what? I make two coffees a day. Maybe 3 or 4.

By the next day, the coffee has staked enough for either the flow rate or the pressure to be off by a bit. By days 3-5 I had to 'correct' the profile.

Not that it doesn't work but since I run 4-5 different coffees concurrently, I ended up using the system as a manual profiler with a (very good) paddle. So I wouldn't agree that the NEVER is as important as the upper case shout suggests.

But that said, I have the hindsight of playing both. Had I not, mere reasoning might have been tempting.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

boshk

#28: Post by boshk replying to AssafL »

That is very true, I've edited my post.
Even with machine that are capable of Volumetric dosing, its exactly the same as you said above, by day 3-5 subject to how one stores their beans, that function doesn't work anymore, its close-ish but usually the shot time will be faster, flow faster, less extracted, less in cup espresso and all that is based on staying with the same bean.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#29: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Airbornewilly wrote:I went from a E61, to a Linea Mini, and finally a Slayer. While they all have been great machines in one way or another, the Slayer is an entirely different beast. I feel the exact same way as Spressomon lol. I cannot believe how much I look forward to waking up just to play with the Slayer again. I'm also in the Denver metro. Trying to decide what my end game grinder is and definitely considering the monolith flat/max. If you want to bring the Flat over and have a play date with the Slayer just let me know! Good luck with your decision!!

Ha, I gotta do the quote on a quote here. Same as the other two. Slayer is like a Christmas morning. Also paired with a Monolith Flat. No reliability issues for me.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart