High-end espresso machines - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BaristaBoy E61

#11: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

JB90068 wrote: Finally was able to locate a part made by ECM so that I will be able to run the drain line directly from the bottom of the metal drip tray to the P-trap beneath the sink. This avoids using the small plastic catch basin that can be mounted beneath the chrome drip tray. My concern is having that become a failure point and having it overflow in the event that the machine floods out.
Water leak detection with automatic water supply cut-off ameliorates the problem.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/products/leak-controller
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

wru

#12: Post by wru »

two things on this -

1. yes, the cutoff will work, but it still means water is going to the counter before the sensor detects, and then shuts off. with hardwood floors at the machine location, this is still risky.
2. every time i've personally seen an issue it's been with the main solenoid sticking slightly open when that seal wears, and then water leaks from the vacuum breaker when the steam tank overfills (note this only happens in power save, otherwise the steam tank is pressurized and there's nowhere for water to go). There is a simple fix to this and it's exactly what LaMarzocco does - run a vented vacuum breaker with an overfill tube to the drain box vs. the open vacuum breaker that Slayer uses (even the new version is open, although now has that little riser tube to catch the sputtering when first heating up.

I really don't understand why they didn't just run a full tray under the belly of the machine with connection to the main drain tube. It would be a simple fail-safe since plumbing and drain are requirements anyway.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by JB90068 »

wru wrote: I really don't understand why they didn't just run a full tray under the belly of the machine with connection to the main drain tube. It would be a simple fail-safe since plumbing and drain are requirements anyway.
This might work for you. It's not the way I chose to go but it's much better than what ECM offers.
ECM Synchronika drain pan upgrade - Espresso machine drain plumbing
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#14: Post by JB90068 »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Water leak detection with automatic water supply cut-off ameliorates the problem.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/products/leak-controller
I wish this would work with my setup. I have braided 3/8" hoses...

BaristaBoy E61

#15: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

JB90068 wrote:I wish this would work with my setup. I have braided 3/8" hoses...
We too have braided hoses...

JB90068 wrote:I wish this would work with my setup. I have braided 3/8" hoses...

"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

wru

#16: Post by wru »

My comments regarding the Slayer single group. For a home-based machine, this simple lack of a fail-safe for leaks is an oversight. Especially when there is such a simple fix.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#17: Post by JB90068 »

Thanks very much Barista Boy. I appreciate your explanation. I'll have to do this on mine.

Arafel (original poster)

#18: Post by Arafel (original poster) »

wru wrote:My comments regarding the Slayer single group. For a home-based machine, this simple lack of a fail-safe for leaks is an oversight. Especially when there is such a simple fix.
Can you expound on that? What would hte simple fix be? What machines do have it?

spressomon

#19: Post by spressomon »

I suppose anything is possible but in nearly 5-years of Slayer ownership, I have had zero leaks anywhere including my water delivery system (pump, accumulator, John Guest fittings, water supply lines, valves, pressure regulator, drain line...). No different in my mind than having a tank of water, called a toilet, being kept at bay by a cheap, simple yet effective wax ring invented in circa 1944.

The only thing close to a water leak issue was the anti-vac valve which, per Slayer, et al, should be an annual replacement PM event, and I let it go for 2-1/2 years. It started sputtering at machine warm up and left tell tale mist inside the cups sitting on the warming tray atop the machine.

Do the water delivery plumbing properly and maintain the few basic parts of the machine...and you're good.
No Espresso = Depresso

wru

#20: Post by wru »

Arafel, Slayer single group. It would have been a simple design decision to add a tray beneath the belly of the machine, drained into the main drain as required by the Slayer configuration anyway. Or, add an overfill drain to the anti vac (a consumable item maintained annually as noted by spressomon). This is what LaMarzocco does.

Spressomon, i've had 3. All from the main solenoid failing to close completely and allowing a stream of water past, ultimately overfilling the steam tank while in power save. Nothing from plumbing, etc. Inside that solenoid is another consumable item which is not on the Slayer PM list - a seat ring that does in fact fail over time. There is an upgrade to this solenoid that can be made, and an even more simple solution is the LaMarzocco anti-vac install which then allows overfills to drain into the main drain box. Slayer should have done this from the factory.

I'm glad to hear you've not had any issues, but this is a known issue with Slayer - common in shops with their multi-group machines and usually solved with a huge unsightly tray beneath the machine. For home use this is impractical. At a minimum, the leak sensor and shutoff should be employed, but that still means water exits the machine. I'd recommend the LaMarzocco anti vac install vs. the open slayer version - it's simple and effective.