HG-1 Grinder vs OE LIDO E for Espresso

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Simon345

#1: Post by Simon345 »

I am looking for a dedicated espresso grinder that can allow me to single dose. Has anyone used both the HG-1 and the LIDO E ? If so, how would you compare the quality of espresso that each produces?

Also, I understand that the HG-1 can be dialed in quite easily and accurately. How precise is the process of adjusting the grind on the LIDO E to dial in a new coffee?

chipman

#2: Post by chipman »

Although i have not used the Lido, I can confidently say there is no comparison. The only thing that could possibly swing your vote to the Lido is the price.

Simon345 (original poster)

#3: Post by Simon345 (original poster) »

Thanks!

Any more details on why? :D

Have you tried espresso made from both?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by FotonDrv »

I have a Lido 2 and an HG-1 and the HG-1 is easier to dial in since the parts that rotate are doing so in a sort of fixed machine where as the Lido is being held in your hands (both parts) and then the rotating part is moved and then a locking collar is rotated to set the grind position.

I use my Lido for the traveling kit.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by samuellaw178 »

Both can get you very good espresso, albeit with very slight difference in my experience. HG-1's is more lively (brighter), the Lido more rounded/smoother.

The differences in other areas are way more pronounced. Different workflow (grind 20s vs 45s, RDT WDT requirement etc), different requirement (portable vs space hogger :lol: , ease of cranking), different aesthetics (industrial looking vs iphone-esque), different price etc.

Dial in wise - agree with Stephen. Easier with the HG-1.

erik82

#6: Post by erik82 »

I've got a Lido 2 (used an E for some time) and HG One but I wouldn't want to grind espresso with the Lido on a daily base. The HG One is very easy to dial in and grind and the Lido will be hard to grind, take a long time and won't be as accurate dialing in. When everything is perfect both can make good espresso but it will be a lot more work and hassle with the Lido.

pumpkinscastle

#7: Post by pumpkinscastle »

Incidentally, I own both grinders (well, the Lido 2, to be exact). Not only that, I use both grinders on a daily basis.
I love them both dearly. However, I use the HG 1 only for espresso and the Lido 2 for all sorts of pour-overs. My opinion is that the Lido 2 is completely espresso-capable. Grinding with the Lido 2 wouldn't be so much a hassle to not use it for espresso. Yes, it takes quite a bit longer than the HG 1 but it can be done.
I've abandoned the Lido 2 for espresso as it does not produce the same kind of depth and three-dimensionality that the HG 1 delivers. Lido 2 shots will taste more straight, more compressed, more direct. If you're using high-grade coffees, you WILL find much more nuanced shape, flavor, and shot development on your tongue with the HG 1-prepared shot. Having said this, the Lido grinders blow all of the electric grinders in a similar price range out of the water. Easily! They are fantastic but won't touch the quality you will obtain from an HG 1. That's obviously not gospel but my (somewhat informed) opinion.

Also, since you were mentioning single dosing, I think that the HG 1-blind tumbler routine is much easier and cleaner for that than operating the Lido and its catch jar.

dominico
Team HB

#8: Post by dominico »

I just want to stress for accuracy's sake that the Lido 2 and the Lido E, albeit similar are different grinders.
I have at one time owned the Lido 2 (original version), Lido 3, and Lido E.
The Lido E has a much finer adjustment ring than the other Lido's, meaning that making finer adjustments in the espresso range is much easier than on the Lido 2 ro 3.

Complicating the matter further, depending on when you purchased a Lido 2 you might have the older Italmil burrs which were much harder to grind with than the current Etzinger burrs present in all grinders. If your Lido 2 is a 2 bearing or 3 bearing will also make a difference on its quality in the espresso range.
Therefore, Lido 2 experience may not be representative of the abilities of the Lido E.
My Lido 2 and Lido E acted like completely different grinders.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by samuellaw178 »

dominico wrote: Therefore, Lido 2 experience may not be representative of the abilities of the Lido E.
+1 We need to clarify if it's Swiss or Italian burrs when discussing a Lido 2. The Italmill burrs on older Lido 2 are more aggressive and require much more force to grind at espresso range. I had the Lido 3 which uses the Swiss burrs (used on all Lidos now). The new burrs is more user friendly when doing fine grinds.

pumpkinscastle

#10: Post by pumpkinscastle »

Well, point taken. Although I never had difficulties dialing my Lido 2 in for espresso. And I have the more aggressive Italmill burrs, I believe. But then, I enjoy hand grinding and the resistance doesn't bother me. I just have doubts that a Lido grinder (and they are all espresso capable regardless their numbering) is on par with an HG 1. The Lido shots were great looking, crema rich and good. They did not lack any visual hallmarks of a good shot. And they tasted pretty good, too. I would argue that the HG 1 will let you look deeper into the flavor profile of a bean. That's all I am saying.

My anecdotal evidence is that two of my espresso-sipping friends confirmed my own impressions. While one said that the Lido shots were not as "good" as the HG 1 shots (that drinker loves coffee but isn't privy to better descriptive terminology) they other one described it in a more refined way. Alas, all that stuck in my head from his descriptions is the epithet "flat."

Having said that, my Lido makes the most outstanding pour-overs. I have used the HG 1 for pour-overs but not extensively and it wasn't as good for non-espresso brewing. And the reasons for that have been discussed endlessly.

Long story short: It behooves to have a Lido (whatever designation) and an HG 1. The latter for home use. The former for travel and drip. Can't go wrong!