Help with a Spring-Lever shortlist - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Cuprajake

#11: Post by Cuprajake »

Also the new gen dual boiler levers are smaller than the old school boilers

Brew boiler is 800ml and the steam 2.3l
And you can turn the steam off, the boilers ready in 10 mins the group in 15. And temps are rock solid.

espressotime

#12: Post by espressotime replying to Cuprajake »

True.Big advantage.

Amberale

#13: Post by Amberale »

espressotime wrote:The thought of firing up a beast of an espressomachine early in the morning,pulling a couple of shots, leaving the machine on and going on with your business and pull a couple of shots again three or four hours later ?
In this age of climat change that makes my stomach cringe actually.
It is a forty km round trip for me to drive to my nearest cafe for a decidedly average latte.
The Vostok uses a lot less energy than the car. 8)

erik82

#14: Post by erik82 »

espressotime wrote:The thought of firing up a beast of an espressomachine early in the morning,pulling a couple of shots, leaving the machine on and going on with your business and pull a couple of shots again three or four hours later ?
In this age of climat change that makes my stomach cringe actually.
Why? A large espresso machine will comsume more warming up then being idle for 4 hours so your logic is completely wrong. And wasting a lot on maintenance and throwing away parts because of a lot of full heat-ups has far more negative effects on the climat.

espressotime

#15: Post by espressotime replying to erik82 »

I never had anything break on any of my espressomachines.Ok.My Mater broke down on my Lambro a couple of weeks ago..But that's about it.
I'll stick with my suggestion for the little red machine.

Fast,(takes 7 minutes to heat up),great steamer and suitable for medium to darker roasts . Say I want two cappucinos.Those can be made in less than 12 minutes.Three times a day that ads up to a little over half a kWh.Try to achieve that with leaving a big machine on for 8 hours at a time.
I had my commercial machines connected to energy meters.They used more energy .

DaveC

#16: Post by DaveC »

erik82 wrote:Why? A large espresso machine will comsume more warming up then being idle for 4 hours so your logic is completely wrong. And wasting a lot on maintenance and throwing away parts because of a lot of full heat-ups has far more negative effects on the climat.
you have managed to break the laws of physics, the machine will consume less power overall if turned off when you're not using it. This is actually true of all machines. Convenience makes people keep machines on all day...a behaviour which is closely linked to the length of warm up time.
★★ Quite Helpful

erik82

#17: Post by erik82 »

There's more then enough that can be found about espresso machines comsuming a lot of energy for initial warmup. Not breaking the laws of physics here. Your reasoning is just wrong and you know that with the experience you have :wink: .

A heating element of big espresso machine can be on for 15min for initial warmup and have far shorter intervals of cycling then when hot. When hot a machine will cycle every couple of minutes turning the heating element on for only a couple of seconds.

So having the element be on say 10s every 2 minutes will be 300s an hour or 6 minutes when fully warmed up. This is 2,5 hours for only the intial 15min warmup from cold and then you need to take into account that the much shorter cycles the 30min after that which accounts for another 1-1,5 hour of extra energy consumption compared to normal hot cycles. No rocket science here just common sense.

So leaving a machine on for an extra 2-3 hours saves energy. Leaving it on 24/7 is a whole different story but TS was asking for leaving it on a couple of hours a day and not the whole day. Maybe you misread that. And ofcourse an espresso machine will comsume less if we never turn it on but then we can only drink cold espresso and it's not what it's made for :wink: .

espressotime

#18: Post by espressotime replying to erik82 »

I'll do some measuring tomorrow and the day after.
Three times two cappus with my Export switching on switching off.
Next day with my Lambro leaving it on from 7 in the morning till let's say 4 o'clock pm.

erik82

#19: Post by erik82 replying to espressotime »

That's a complete wrong test and doesn't tell anything usefull.

You should test what the Lambro consumes the first hour from a cold start and what it consumes every hour the next 3-4 hours when idling hot. That's the only right test. And also do that with the export.

Then you also know what it'll consume when turning it on 3 times a day from a cold start for an hour against leaving it on for say 7 hours. That's just simple math.

espressotime

#20: Post by espressotime replying to erik82 »

0.8 kwh in a little over an hour. Leaving it on for say 6 hours will be more than three times 12 minutes with the Export.
Export is 800 watts. So 0.8 kwh. Takes 8 minutes to warm up.That's 0.23 kwh for three times a day.