Help me decide between Lelit Mara X vs Profitec Pro 400 vs Profitec Go

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
flashvlad

#1: Post by flashvlad »

As the title suggests, I am interested in getting one of these. My main objective with them will be to make 2 flat whites daily and 1 cappuccino. I never make just black coffee/espresso - so it's important to froth the milk and create the creme for the flat whites.

Why should I get one or the other, and Profitec Go is way cheaper than the rest. Is it worth it?

Thank you!

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by ShotClock »

For me, the clear choice is the Mara X. The Go is a single boiler, dual usage (SBDU): every time you want to steam, you need to switch to steam mode, then wait for the boiler to heat. When you want espresso, then you need to switch back to coffee mode, then wait. The pro 400 is a heat exchanger (HX): you get instant steam, but have to flush the group head before a shot to get the right temperature for espresso. The Mara X is also an HX, but has some clever temperature control, so you can walk up and pull a shot with no flushing, while also getting good steam. You can also add a flow control device to it in the future. Warm up time is ~45 minutes, but you can get around this by using a smart plug.

flashvlad (original poster)

#3: Post by flashvlad (original poster) »

Thank you for the details
45" is a lot, and a smart plug won't help because I go and make coffee at a moment's notice when I feel the mood. I read that mara X might have some problems compared to profitec brand in general, which js more durable.
How much is the heating time on the profitec pro 400?

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

Count on 30-45 min for a traditional HX, closer to 45 in my experience.

Because of the ritual required to manage brew temperature on virtually all HX machines, the Mara X is the only one I can recommend buying new today.

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by ShotClock »

I'd recommend just leaving the machine on from 7am to 4pm or something. The electricity use isn't that bad, as it's a fairly small boiler. Getting consistent brew temps out of a regular HX is always going to be a challenge. If you're making a milk drink then an SBDU machine will take an extra chunk of time, every time you do it - 2-3 minutes maybe?

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by ShotClock »

Also, i had a Mara X for about a year. Never had any issues with it.

#7: Post by flashvlad (original poster) »

if the temp stability is such an issue with HX machines, what are the advantages of having one?
And if it has a thermometer there on the hud, should I know what temp is has?

kittenmittons
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by kittenmittons »

Price is the main advantage compared to a dual boiler. I currently own both the 400 and the Go and I would recommend either the 400 or the Mara over the Go with your use case. The Go is a good machine, but the steaming is a real inconvenience. It's not just waiting, but the multiple purges of water you'll need to do in addition to waiting. The inconvenience of temperature instability of the HX is a bit overblown. With a group head thermometer ($50 on Etsy) and a few weeks of use, you'll have no issues with it. An example of learned experience, there is a rebound after pulling a shot where you lose several degrees and it is a few minutes before it is back up to the desired temp, however you can use the "PID" controls of the newer HX machines to nullify that. So like right now I have a dark roast I'm using, I set the machine to low and the temp is around 196 and as I'm about to start my first shot I raise the temp to medium and then the steam boiler starts to heat up which in turn reduces the rebound back to 196 to only a minute or two max (doesn't effect the temp of the first shot as there is a delay). This goes for medium roast temps too, just adjust the PID to high as I'm beginning to pull my shot and then by the time I steam and regrind for shot number two I'm back to target temp.

I've owned a Pro 600 and Classika for sometime as well and I can honestly say the HX hate is overblown. For the price for each machine, I am happiest with the 400. If I didn't sway you from SBDU in the Go, let me know as I am likely to be exchanging or selling mine if unable to exchange (only been in use for a month and a half at this point).

#9: Post by flashvlad (original poster) »

Thank you for such a detailed input. Really helpful. I don't think i will have the time or patience to make sure the temp is always 100% at the same level to adjust it etc. I think I will pull the shots as they are, so this won't matter for me.

But again, thank you for your detailed input!