Help me choose my next -- Profitec Pro 700, ECM Synchronika, Lelit Bianca

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
MelC

#1: Post by MelC »

Upgrading from my GCP because I like to have espresso and steamed milk roughly within the same epoch. :!:

That being said, I have decided on a dual boiler and while I likely won't plumb right away, I do want the option. Checked my breaker switch and it says 20 - plug is a 10 (but switching it won't be an issue).

I know the three most often discussed are Profitec 700, Synchronika, Bianca. I love the Synchronika -- my hesitation is it's so heavy, but I know that's because it's well-built. The flow control bauble/knob is concerning me with reports of people burning themselves. The Bianca 3 is like the new girl in school -- everyone is fawning over her, but I'm just not sure she's for me.

Spoke with a coworker who has a Profitec 700 and regrets not getting the Synchronika because of nicer small details, so I don't want to end up like that.

At the heart of it all, I don't want buyer's remorse, no matter which I end up with. Any advice would be appreciated.

GregoryJ

#2: Post by GregoryJ »

Those are all pretty similar machines. The difference in features is so small to me, I would choose by which one I like the look of the most.

The Bianca has a repositionable water reservoir, which might come in handy depending on your space. I wouldn't worry too much about the weight of the Synchronika if you're just planning to leave it in one place. 50 lbs per person is pretty comfortable for lifting, so setting it on the counter is a pretty quick 2-person job.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Pressino »

I second GregoryJ's advice. One question: although the circuit breaker is rated at 20A, do you know the gauge of the circuit wiring? You say the outlet is rated at 10A. 120V outlets for the US market are rated either 15 or 20A. 14 gauge copper wire is adequate for 15A circuits , whereas 20A circuits require at least 12g wire. You can use a dual boiler machine on a 15A circuit, but unless you have a 20A circuit you won't be able to (or shouldn't) set the machine to heat both the steam and brew boilers at full power simultaneously at start up.

MelC (original poster)

#4: Post by MelC (original poster) »

Thanks. That's what I needed someone to say to me.

I want to like the Bianca but I just don't. I can't explain it other than to say it just seems like the hot new thing and in two years we'll all be looking back and saying, "Wow. Remember that craze?" I hope I'm wrong. Also, I would want the white to match other gear but I worry about chips, which leads me back to the stainless and if I'm going to get the stainless, I may as well get the Synchronika.

And this is super picky, but I just don't like the drip tray cover that the Bianca has, which seems completely silly. It just looks flimsy and if I'm paying that much for a machine, I don't want it to look like a wire grate.

Basically, because of the moveable water tank, the paddle rather that the knob, and the lighter weight, I wanted to go with the Bianca but that tray cover was paralyzing me. The Synchronika is heavier, can't move the tank, and has that dumb knob but I still can't bring myself to get the Bianca.

Maybe there's another tray cover that's more appealing but I can't seem to find one.

MelC (original poster)

#5: Post by MelC (original poster) »

Pressino wrote:I second GregoryJ's advice. One question: although the circuit breaker is rated at 20A, do you know the gauge of the circuit wiring? You say the outlet is rated at 10A. 120V outlets for the US market are rated either 15 or 20A. 14 gauge copper wire is adequate for 15A circuits , whereas 20A circuits require at least 12g wire. You can use a dual boiler machine on a 15A circuit, but unless you have a 20A circuit you won't be able to (or shouldn't) set the machine to heat both the steam and brew boilers at full power simultaneously at start up.
My understanding from my engineer cousin (not an electrician, but has worked for the electric company for 20 years) is that I should be good, but I'll for sure consult a licensed professional before doing anything.

bobkat
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by bobkat »

To the OP: I don't own the Bianca and know nothing about it. I do own the Sync and like it very much for my situation. Yes, it is very heavy. It is on my wide open counter that has no obstructions above the machine. I can easily fill the water reservoir and slide the machine for cleaning. Some people using furniture sliders on the feet. I found that a lid from Penzey's Spices bottles is the perfect size to put under each leg and act as a slider. I also prefer the levers of the Sync to the 700's knobs. Follow the advice given you and make sure your electrical situation is correct. Also make sure your water supply is the proper non corroding one for your next machine. I use R Pavlis water and find it simple to make and use. Good luck in finding the best machine for you!

diungerich

#7: Post by diungerich »

MelC wrote:My understanding from my engineer cousin (not an electrician, but has worked for the electric company for 20 years) is that I should be good, but I'll for sure consult a licensed professional before doing anything.
In addition to what was already mentioned, what else is on that circuit running at the same time? That is a factor in whether it can handle the load.

GregoryJ

#8: Post by GregoryJ »

bobkat wrote:I also prefer the levers of the Sync to the 700's knobs.
Just out of curiosity, have you tried the steam knob on the Pro 700? I've heard a lot of people prefer joysticks, so maybe I need to try some myself. But, I was pleasantly surprised by the knobs on the Pro 800 (which I assume are same/similar). It's about 1/4 turn from off to on, and they are sprung valves so you never crank them down, just a smooth twist.

bobkat
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by bobkat »

Just out of curiosity, have you tried the steam knob on the Pro 700?
I have not tried the Pro 700 steam knob. 1/4 turn does not sound bad at all. I probably wouldn't mind using knobs, but the lever seems to me a bit easier. For a lot of people, myself included, it is difficult to go to a nearby display/showroom to see espresso machines all set up side by side to make a true comparison test. Videos and pictures can only show so much to a potential buyer.

GregoryJ

#10: Post by GregoryJ »

Yeah I have no idea which I'd prefer if I could try both side by side. (I also don't steam milk much so it isn't a big factor for me). It's a good difference to be aware of though.