Help me choose a grinder for my taste profile! - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JB90068
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by JB90068 »

henri wrote: the Eureka Mignon is also capable of delivering a fantastic cup with traditional blends. But it is not very suitable for single dosing, if that's your preference.
I converted a Mignon XL to single dose and feel it works fine, so I'm curious as to why you don't think it's suitable?
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

henri

#12: Post by henri replying to JB90068 »

Sorry - I wrote that post in a hurry and should've chosen my words more carefully. I haven't tried a SD conversion of the Mignon so in that sense I'm not even qualified to evaluate how well it works in that application. I know many people use it as a single doser and are happy. Personally, I feel I'd be mainly frustrated by the dial, which makes swapping between coffees a bit difficult - definitely more difficult than on the Niche. But granted, if you're sticking to one coffee and single dosing for freshness' sake, then I don't really have an argument either for or against the Mignon.

To the OP: I'd add that in the quest for mouthfeel / syrupy espresso / crema, the coffee itself is the more important variable. Given the right beans, I can dial in any of my three grinders to yield such a shot. What I can't do, and doubt anyone can, is to make such a shot from an arbitrary coffee by finding the "right" grinder.

In a sense, it's more difficult to find a good coffee than it is to find a good grinder.

SandraF

#13: Post by SandraF »

I bought my first non blade grinder this year, and chose a Eureka Atom 75. As I've said before, it's fast (3.2 seconds for 18g), quiet, infinitely adjustable with step less adjustment. I don't really have anything to compare it to though. They are easy to find, come in several colors (I bought stainless).

I drink mostly "comfort" blends - light to medium coffees.

Good luck.

dsc106

#14: Post by dsc106 »

I too had reservations on the NZ aesthetic but agree it looks better in person. Even my wife, who didn't like the pics, liked it.

If money really is no object get the monolith conical, I'd think.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by JB90068 »

henri wrote:Personally, I feel I'd be mainly frustrated by the dial, which makes swapping between coffees a bit difficult - definitely more difficult than on the Niche. But granted, if you're sticking to one coffee and single dosing for freshness' sake, then I don't really have an argument either for or against the Mignon.
Thanks and I agree with you completely. I used the XL for just a few weeks before getting an EG-1 - which is far superior on all levels.

You also make a very good point later in your post when you write about how the beans are more important for mouthfeel / syrupy espresso / crema. In my case, the lighter the roast - typically the less I get of all three. There is one medium dark roast that I occasionally grind that gives me the most mouthfeel, syrup and crema over my preferred medium roast.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Vincere (original poster)

#16: Post by Vincere (original poster) »

ok well I decided to add myself to the monolith conical waiting list and I haven't rule out the niche zero, for now I think I will wait for the ''the key'' to be release, I will be very interested to see review about it

''the key'' is conical too if I am not mistaken? so it might fit my taste

Quester

#17: Post by Quester »

Vincere wrote:ok well I decided to add myself to the monolith conical waiting list and I haven't rule out the niche zero, for now I think I will wait for the ''the key'' to be release, I will be very interested to see review about it
The more I use the KafaTek MC4, the more I'm enjoying it. As you know, the MC4 has dual conical burrs. It's unique in that way.

I've always had a preference for large flats compared to something like the Niche, but the MC4 seems to produce few fines--although I've not measured. It is built to grind slowly if that makes a difference to you. 20 grams takes about 35 seconds if you wait for all the bits. But I have a feeling the dual burrs and the slow speed are why this grinder tastes different to me than the Niche or other conicals I've used. The MC4 is also pretty quiet.

We might do some blind tests when my daughter brings her Niche home for the holidays. I have a feeling it's going to be fairly easy to pick out the MC4 in triangle tests, but I've been humbled many times when it comes to this.

Vincere (original poster)

#18: Post by Vincere (original poster) »

do you have alot of coffee ground getting stuck in the chute on your MC4? I have seen one video where the guy removed it to let some ground falls but all the other videos dont do it

Quester

#19: Post by Quester replying to Vincere »

There's a little bit, but not much.

What was a bit annoying is that my MC4 came with a chute liner that would just fall out. When I looked at it, it was cracked. I paid for a new one, but it was not packaged well and it arrived cracked. So I used a bit of paper (shim) to hold the cracked liner in and it's worked fine.

Ad-85

#20: Post by Ad-85 »

LS807 will give you thick body. Also for thick espressos you need a massive flow rate hitting the puck during pre infusion and that can be found in LM GS3 (MP is better than AV) or a Lever machine (I'm not saying other machines don't but these are the cheapest that can give you what you want). Recommendation: GS3 MP OR ACS EVO LEVA. The EVO costs 3450€ shipped with DHL and you pay for taxes (I guess it costs half the GS3's price and a bonus of no back flush needed. This is the price for all white evo leva or all red! Whatever color you like).
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram