Helor 101 vs 1Zpresso JX Pro

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
trkao

#1: Post by trkao »

I'm having a very difficult time deciding between these two manual grinders. I live with others and I am always the first up so I want a quiet, manual grinder. These two both have my eye and I am keen towards everything about the JX pro other than it is a stepped grinder. On the other hand, I've read the Helor produces too many fines. I will be using this grinder for an aeropress, flair, and a robot. Any suggestions would be great!

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

I've not used the Helor, but I have a non-PRO version of the JX. It can grind as fine as you like or as coarse as you like. But, the click stops are a bit too coarse for proper dialing in of espresso. I do use it from time to time, but really wish I'd bought the PRO, as that version has many more stops. I think you'd probably find it suitable. I'm really impressed with the quality of the construction and materials. The burrs alignment is so close to perfect--just the very slightest rub at the finest setting. The bearings are totally wiggle free and it's fast (except for Turkish, which takes about twice as long as espresso grind).

Advertisement
Beyondborders

#3: Post by Beyondborders »

Jx pro is hands down the best grinder for that price range. I ended up selling my kinu m47 phoenix. It's way easier to grind with. Quality in the shot is on par if not better.

buddalouie

#4: Post by buddalouie »

I've used the Helor and thought it was a fantastic little grinder. Very light and compact, and solidly built. I now use a Kinu 47 but mostly because I prefer the grind adjusting mechanism on the top vs on the bottom of the grinder.

gunda

#5: Post by gunda »

Which version of the KInu 47 do you have? How do you find the easy of the grind in it compared to the 101, and any differences in the cup?

I have a 101 and am generally happy with it, but nowadays I mostly use it for grinding for espresso when I travel with my DE1+. And it is a fair bit of work grinding for espresso on the 101. I suspect also the grind distribution is wider than I'd like, and fine-tuning the grind setting involves minuscule changes. So while I'm generally happy, I have thought about upgrading to something a bit larger if it addressed these issues.

buddalouie

#6: Post by buddalouie replying to gunda »

An earlier version of the 47 with a screw on catch cup. I found the actual grinding about the same between the two. Didn't notice much difference in the cup that I can remember but it's been a while since I've used the 101.

Charliehustlehops

#7: Post by Charliehustlehops »

I have the helor myself while it is a pretty nice grinder it scratches very easy, and customer service from them has not always been the best.

If I had to get a hand grinder all over again would probably settle on a Kinu, or Comadante