Have Rancilio Rocky, looking for an alternative (willing to pay more)

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Michal

#1: Post by Michal »

I currently have the Rocky Doser model and it makes me :evil: . I am looking to get a doserless model that would work well with Ms. Silvia. I am looking to spend ~500 and want to get it from WLL. I saw this grinder Compak K-3 Touch what do you guys think?

Have a good christmas eve!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Why is doserless important? I ask because doserless models invariably produce more clumps than their doser-equipped counterpart.
Dan Kehn

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
Michal (original poster)

#3: Post by Michal (original poster) »

Well I guess its because the doser on Rocky sprays grounds everywhere. If not all dosers do that than that would be fine.

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

I would not get a doserless model. I know it is a matter of preference, but my style of working makes a doser model very convenient for me. The reasons I like a doser include:
- I grind per dose, overfill the PF a bit, and then strike off level. I strike off into the doser and use that as part of the next dose which saves coffee.
- The doser breaks up any possible clumps quite effectively.
- The doser allows you to run the grinder unattended. This is quite handy if grinding a half pound for whatever reason.
- The doser helps deal with static issues.
- The doser allows you to rapidly click the dosing lever while grinding which is a great aid for even distribution.
Yes, it adds one more area that needs to be cleaned occasionally but I feel that, for me, the benefits outweigh the difficulties.

Your Rocky sprays ground everywhere? Are you using the PF fork on it? One of the first things I did with Rocky and Kony was to remove the PF forks so that I could hold the portafilter where I wanted to which also allows better distribution during dosing. If you are thinking about a Mazzer, be sure to add the "Schectermatic."
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
*20th Anniversary 2000-2020*

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

The Schectermatic rules. Coffee grounds drop down straight and neat, no matter how fast I thwack the doser handle. Mazzer should integrate this into future models and send royalties to Andy.

Dan Kehn

cafeIKE
Supporter ★

#6: Post by cafeIKE »

Dosers do not ensure clumpless distribution. Most deliver an uneven dose favoring the left of the basket. This can be mitigated somewhat by rotating the PF while thwacking. If you entertain, a thwacking doser is about as popular as a skunk at a church social.

As far as putting the dregs back in the doser, unless making another shot in very short order, the overage is better relegated in the bin.

As far as overdosing and striking off, good results are easily obtained with a proper dose evenly distributed.

Some of the advice comes down to espresso style preference. If you like OTT American style espresso, then maybe a doser is required. If a l'Italiano is more to your choosing, a doser in the home is not.

I've said it before and I'll say it again : Dosers are for wannabe yanqui baristas. :twisted:

Doserless MC4 just as it fell from the spout :

Many people have responded favorably on the Compak K3 Touch, so go for it.

IMAWriter
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by IMAWriter »

Michal wrote:I currently have the Rocky Doser model and it makes me :evil: . I am looking to get a doserless model that would work well with Ms. Silvia. I am looking to spend ~500 and want to get it from WLL. I saw this grinder Compak K-3 Touch what do you guys think?

Have a good christmas eve!
Michal...the Rocky Doser is notorious for needing "modifications."
Andy's suggestions are valid, and his "Schectormatic" (pat pending) keeps things falling straight down.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
cafeIKE
Supporter ★

#8: Post by cafeIKE »

Randy G. wrote:But doserless gives you no option to deal with clumping until the coffee has been ejected, that means WDT or other unnecessary hoops to jump through if clumping occurs- possibly adding extra steps on which you have railed in the past.
And said clumps, IN THE BASKET, from a dosered grinder do what, poof, magically disappear?

I use a dosered and doserless grinder, EVERY DAY, with the same roast. On any given day, one is clumping, the other is not. Rarely are they in sync.

Jim Schulman once referred to doserless aficionados as village idiots.
Don't recall anyone taking offense :P 8) :lol:

Endo

#9: Post by Endo »

Sell the Rocky, buy the Baratza Vario and don't look back.
"Disclaimer: All troll-like comments are my way of discussing"

IMAWriter
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by IMAWriter » replying to Endo »

Curious advice, as this grinder is not available as yet, and as much as I appreciate baratza commitment to the home market, a few "expert" reviews and such might be in order.
Though no expert, I will be taking a close look at one in 2 weeks (hopefully)
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com