Have $2000 budget for espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
burlsube

#1: Post by burlsube »

I am thinking about getting a new machine. My current set up is a pre millenium La Pavoni Europiccola. I love the lever action and all the tinkering and temperament that comes along with it, but I feel limited. The group is small and making drinks takes a while. I have had it for over ten years and it has served me well, but is difficult to maintain.

I am looking to move on to a semi automatic machine. I generally make lattes, caps, and only the occasional straight up espresso. I would prefer an E-61 and have been considering something a PID, but I'm not sure if it is necessary. I would prefer a machine that gets up to temp quickly... definitely couldnt wait an hour or more... I wouldn't be plumbing the machine in and it would need to use a conventional household outlet. I have a budget of 2k for the machine.

I have had my eye on a Brewtus or maybe one of the Alexs. Any ideas?

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

A HX E-61 will not benefit from a PID. Only a SBDU (which I would not recommend) or a dual boiler machine will.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

burlsube wrote:I would prefer a machine that gets up to temp quickly... definitely couldnt wait an hour or more.
This is very limiting. The E61s and all other thermosyphon machines take a long time to get up to speed, an hour, at least. The group gets heated by hot water circulation which only starts after the boiler is completely up to temperature -- think of a house heated by radiators. The fastest heat up for any machine that can steam and make espresso at the same time are the Bezzeras, BZ02 and BZ07, which are ready in a half hour.

Most people who buy these machines leave them on 24/7, or run them on an appliance timer, so they are ready in the morning, by the time their owners stumble into their kitchens, bleary eyed, in search of coffee.
Jim Schulman

burlsube (original poster)

#4: Post by burlsube (original poster) »

Ok. I didn't realize they took that long to get up to temp. I guess my main focus is consistent, quality espresso. I can easily but the machine on a timer.

nixter

#5: Post by nixter »

So long as it has a vacuum breaker which at that price point it should, you'd be ok to put it on a timer. That's exactly what I do. Just make sure a child or guest doesn't flip the brew lever up while the machine is off. You would wake the next morning with a nice flood.

MDL

#6: Post by MDL »

Although not an E61, I would suggest that you consider the La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II. It is in your price range and does a great job.

I have owned a Vivaldi II (plumbed in, not a mini) since April 2007 and love it.

Good luck,
Mark

Mayhem
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Mayhem »

You do already have a good grinder, right? Otherwise that really should be your number #1 priority...
Too much is not enough

Advertisement
burlsube (original poster)

#8: Post by burlsube (original poster) »

I'm all set on grinder end. I will probably upgrade eventually, but the La Pavoni Jolly is still holding strong.

cafeIKE

#9: Post by cafeIKE »

Buying Advice FAQs and Favorites

Spiegelman

#10: Post by Spiegelman »

Randy G. wrote:A HX E-61 will not benefit from a PID. Only a SBDU (which I would not recommend) or a dual boiler machine will.
Forgive my naivete but why does an HX machine not benefit from a PID?

I'm also considering a similar upgrade from Silvia and was looking at those two machines. If you take out the concern of heat up time, are there other machine in this price range besides these two which can be recommended?

thanks!