Grinders in the $500-1000 range

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dimitris77

#1: Post by dimitris77 »

Hello,

New to espresso and looking to upgrade from my Pharos grinder as static and way of feeding grounds is not optimum on this grinder.
Any recommendations on a grinder at the $500-1000 range? Buying used works for me as well. I am currently looking into DF64, Niche Zero, used Ceados.

Thanks!

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

What make/model of espresso machine do you have? I note that your profile only lists pour-over.

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

Also, what do you enjoy in coffee, both in terms of roast levels / roasters by name and characteristics in the cup?

How often do you change beans? Change grind setting?

dimitris77 (original poster)

#4: Post by dimitris77 (original poster) »

I am getting a Domobar Super from a lovely gentleman here at this forum. I expect to be using grinder just for espresso. I am not expecting to be changing coffees too often. When I buy a bag I use it all and then move on to the next one. I like light to medium roasts typically.

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

I think the Niche Zero or the DF64 (with stock burrs to start) would both be good choices. The Niche Zero has a very good workflow and doesn't need anything out of the box. The DF64 needs a few mods, from what I've read, to be a good single-dosing grinder. The flat burrs that advanced users are talking about are the SSPs, generally the "MP" in the 64 mm size (they're not consistently named between 64 mm and 98 mm). Those burrs can provide a subtly different cup, especially with lighter roasts. The modern flats can also be harder to dial in and a bit tweaky on grind settings. There's a lot to learn with everything new. You should be able to order the SSP burrs (or whatever the favored choice is in the future) if you decide to go that way. I don't think you get any "credit" for the stock burrs if you buy SSP installed.

From what I've read about Ceado grinders, I think the Niche Zero has a significantly better work flow if you single dose. I have yet to see any of the old-school manufacturers make a good single-dose grinder rather than mainly re-marketing their old-school designs with a few, mainly cosmetic changes.

Doolittlej
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Doolittlej »

I have really found the workflow for my Baratza Forte to be good. I grind by weight, pour the grinds into the portafilter using a funnel and then use Levercraft WDT tool to prep. It is fairly easy to adjust grind setting and dose on these machines.

gobucks

#7: Post by gobucks »

Do you plan to stick to one coffee or switch around? If u stick to one, then the Eureka Specialita or Silenzio seem like great values. If you want flexibility, Niche Zero and DF64 (potentially modded) seem like the choices. I have the niche zere, love the workflow, low noise, and how idiotproof it is, maybe the DF64 can do better w SSP flat burrs but it requires some modding.

One I've been watching is the Kopi Deva, it's currently on indiegogo and I'm a bit cautious about that platform, but a 64mm flat burr single doser w high build quality for ~500GBP is intriguing. Doesnt ship till may, though (in theory), and there is a risk of vaporware.