Grinder Upgrade: Niche Zero or something else? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
DaveA

#11: Post by DaveA »

jjlsetter wrote:I've decided to keep my Bodum for drip/aeropress and get the new one solely for espresso. How is single dosing with the Specialita? How is the grind retention and cleaning?
Single dosing is easy with the Specialita and although I haven't yet cleaned it it is considered a low retention grinder. Not as low as some but better than many. To grind 18g of beans takes me 12 seconds.

HotLava

#12: Post by HotLava »

Before I bought the Niche my top three were the 270 wi, specialita or the Niche. This was to replace a Ceado E6. The thing that threw me off the 270 wi was the mess. I saw a video where someone did a paper towel test. Then there was the noise factor. But noise is not a deal breaker for me.

I was not impressed with the 64mm flat burrs in the Ceado so going to the Specialita 55 mm burr set didn't seem like a lateral move. It was not set up for single dosing although many people use it as such. I was also concerned that the small adjustment knob would lead to big swings in grind setting with a little movement. This being said it would have been my second choice.

Coming from a small conical burr grinder, I decided to take a chance and on the niche with its 63 mm conical burr. I'm pleased with its ease of use. It's a simple machine that does one thing really well. It's quiet. The build is solid. Very easy to calibrate. The only draw back is it does not come ready to dose into a portafilter so you have to get creative and alter the base to make it work.
However the dosing cup works fine.
Joe