Grinder upgrade - $3500 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
victoor

#1: Post by victoor »

Hi guys,

What grinder would you recommend for a $3,500 budget ?

I would be considering the EK43S if that allignment work wouldn't be so much hassle.

Thank you,

a_carkhuff

#2: Post by a_carkhuff »

I was in the same situation as you recently and decided to go with the EG-1 since it's the one that's most readily available.

If you don't mind waiting for pre-orders and such though you can't go wrong with any of the Kafatek offerings or the Levercraft Ultra.

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
MTN Gert

#3: Post by MTN Gert »

My local Unic dealer sells the Ceado E37Z Hero and E37z naked. Those probably just fit into your budget.

Fastener free DLC burrs
45° angle helps eliminate retention
The Hero has adjustable motor speed vis a separate control box speed
the naked has built in controls
The motors are more robust vs other single dose grinders except levercraft ultra
Ceado offers fantastic support and is usually ready to ship

I don't have personal experience with the other grinders on James Hoffmanns grinder showdown. Luckily it looks like you can't chose wrong. If levercraft finds a way to streamline their multi box situation that would be my choice. The EG1 makes struggle bus noises at low rpm grinding, I have not read about any broken motors but I don't want my Ferrari to sound like a diesel truck. This is going to be a tough thread because very few people will have had hands on experience with more than one or 2 of the options.
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by blondica73 »

victoor wrote:Hi guys,

What grinder would you recommend for a $3,500 budget ?

I would be considering the EK43S if that allignment work wouldn't be so much hassle.

Thank you,
I bought the EK43S and indeed, it requires some TLC. I measured the flatness of the chamber and it was between 0.025 - 0.015 mm, depending on how I rotate the static burrs. I bought it with Turkish burrs so that I would not run out of range for espresso. You don't need to pay list prices as vendors offer discounts if you ask them.
Some vendors offer alignment services.
I love the speed as it compares to other grinders. I don't like the spout, though.

myso

#5: Post by myso »

Curious how much one of these would cost to you in total, if it's still in your price range, and how long the waiting time is.
Frank mentioned that the base price was expected to be below 3000€ ex-VAT. ~3600€ with German VAT.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHfpCtoFljv/
(Titus Nautilus).
In retrospect and ek43s with Titus burr carrier will cost around 3100€.

@MTN Gert

You are making a claim that the motors on ceado Z's are more robust than other single dosing grinders. That includes 15+ grinders.
(As per "HB's Guidelines for productive online discussion") can you elaborate and substantiate your claim?

I think Z naked is listed at 4100€ (~5000usd) and z hero at 5350€ (~6500usd) on this side of the ocean.

@op
Considering customs fees for non EU made single dosing grinders (Kafatek, LWW, Ultra etc.) Titus seems like a valid contender. Added cost over ek43 seems to remedy all the headaches and PITAs (alignment and workflow etc) that you would have with the ek43.

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by blondica73 » replying to myso »

I forgot about the VAT. Here in the US I contacted a couple of vendors and was offered various discounts. My EK43s chamber was very flat, about 0.025mm before I rotated the burrs, when it dropped from 0.015mm. I made sure the burrs were radially aligned using feeler gauges and with the Titus carrier I was in business.

victoor (original poster)

#7: Post by victoor (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice guys.

EG-1 and also Ceado's E37Z are fantastic beasts.

However i live in Europe so shipping cost and import duties make them alittle out of my reach.

This is why i was considering the EK43S in the first place.

Anyone with experience with an Eureka or Macap ?

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
MTN Gert

#8: Post by MTN Gert »

I have owned several MACAP and Eureka grinders..which ones interst you?
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#9: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

victoor wrote:Thanks for the advice guys.

However i live in Europe so shipping cost and import duties make them alittle out of my reach.
Really should look at the Nautilus then. Frank does great work.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart