Grinder upgrade - $3500 budget - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Ejquin

#11: Post by Ejquin »

I have the nautilus. I use it for filter only and it is really great. If you can hide the power supply then it's not that big of a deal. If you can't, it'll probably fit behind the unit, but I could see why some people wouldn't want to clutter their area up.

RickVanCleef

#12: Post by RickVanCleef »

I have the same budget and I am leaning heavily towards Mahlkonig. Trying to decide between the E65S and the new E65S GBW. The E80 is just too big a footprint for my space. Plus, I already have a Monolith Flat so I think I've got the big burr grinder covered.

Advertisement
Ad-85

#13: Post by Ad-85 »

Have you seen EtzMax grind by weight? Then you'll have a flat + conical.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

erik82

#14: Post by erik82 »

A friend of me has a E37Z and it has nothing but problems and service from Ceado is crap. Also the minimum rpm of 600 is pretty high for a grinder with variable rpm.

I'd say a Ditting 804/807 Lab Sweet if you want the best grinder for both pourover and espresso. I also love my EG-1 which I have for over 2 years but if I'd had to make a choice now I'd take the lab sweet. 98mm is also very nice but for a total package I do prefer 80mm burrs.

RickVanCleef

#15: Post by RickVanCleef »

Ad-85 wrote:Have you seen EtzMax grind by weight? Then you'll have a flat + conical.
Thanks. I'll take a look at it. No more single dosing only grinders, though. I need something speedier.

Dapuma

#16: Post by Dapuma »

The nautilus looks very cool. I wish the Atom 75 looked like that. I still prefer my Nautilus as a Patek :)

dchooo

#17: Post by dchooo »

victoor wrote:Hi guys,

What grinder would you recommend for a $3,500 budget ?

I would be considering the EK43S if that allignment work wouldn't be so much hassle.

Thank you,
Would be nice if you could tell us what this grinder is being used for. This is like asking what's the best car for $3500.

Advertisement
BruceWayne

#18: Post by BruceWayne »

I have a EG-1 v. 1. I can't really compare it to other machines since I don't have much experience, but it's hard to imagine any other grinder being easier to clean. I usually sweep it out every day after using it for the day or before switching beans, do a high speed coarse purge between beans, and once a week, go between the burrs with a pipe cleaner at a very wide setting. That last part is from Jonathan Gagné's coffee blog.

I laugh every time I clean it with a pipe cleaner, because I have to keep it away from all the magnets. Also, like the previous poster, this is like asking which high-end luxury car should I buy for $150K. What are you going to use it for espresso, pour over, filter coffee, everything?

dchooo

#19: Post by dchooo »

Ditting kr807 Sweet lab

GorchT

#20: Post by GorchT »

Before everybody writes his own grinder (Titus Nautilus with pre2015 MK style burrs), please write down why you need the grinder because there isn't one for all.
Which coffee do you prefer, really light or light, medium or dark coffee.
What's your daily style of making coffee, brewing or espresso.
Do you want to switch between beans often?
It would be best if you considered everything before you invest a lot of money.
I spent four months of research before I pulled the trigger and decided to buy the Titus.