Grinder upgrade, 1st for espresso 2nd for V60

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
wito

Postby wito » Mar 13, 2019, 9:17 am

hi folks, im looking to get a new grinder one for espresso-on a quickmill rapida machine and one for pour over on my wife's hario V60
currently im using a Mazzer super jolly (the doserless for grocery version) and switching grind settings back to back, which is annoying and not really smart :D
i dont really know what is better and what is an huge upgrade from this grinder im currently using
my budget is something between 500-800-ish for both grinders, maybe i can get some more if its worth it
i like the design of the Baratza Sette 270wi and the scale, not sure about the small grind stones and of course looks arent everything
anyone here willing to help me and ready for really stupid questions? :D

mckolit

Postby mckolit » Mar 13, 2019, 9:51 am

Keep the super jolly for espresso and get another grinder for the v60. In your budget, you can get a Fuji royal for the v60.

wito

Postby wito » Mar 13, 2019, 10:10 am

dont really whant to keep the super jolly, never been happy with this grinder, especially after switching to the QM rapida

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

Postby baristainzmking » Mar 13, 2019, 10:57 am

If you want to change both grinders within your budget of 500 to 800, I would look at Baratza Sette 270wi and Baratza Virtuoso.
Julia

mckolit

Postby mckolit » Mar 13, 2019, 11:03 am

wito wrote:dont really whant to keep the super jolly, never been happy with this grinder, especially after switching to the QM rapida

What issues do you have with the grinder and rapida pairing? I have an sj and am thinking of going to a lever in the future so want to know if I need to budget for a grinder too?

wito

Postby wito » Mar 13, 2019, 11:15 am

baristainzmking wrote:If you want to change both grinders within your budget of 500 to 800, I would look at Baratza Sette 270wi and Baratza Virtuoso.

so the sette is an upgrade? it was just the first grinder that popped up after googling for a minute multiple times :D
if it helps, for the V60 it can be a handgrinder

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

Postby baristainzmking » Mar 13, 2019, 5:42 pm

I am not sure if sette 270wi is an upgrade, but with your budget and needing two grinders... you could also look at Niche Zero and hand grinder like OE LIDO 3, or Feldgeind Knock Feld2 or Helor. Prima coffee has a nice writeup on hand grinders. Here is the link.

https://prima-coffee.com/learn/article/ ... esso/32722

Hope this helps,
Julia

wito

Postby wito » replying to baristainzmking » Mar 13, 2019, 5:47 pm

yeah already found out that the 270WI is not a upgrade and googling everything about the niche, looks kinde like a toy compared to the rest :D

blkswn

Postby blkswn » Mar 13, 2019, 6:27 pm

Ceado E5P w/ SSP Burrs has been great for espresso. Refurb will run you 550 and 200 for the ssp..right within your price target. Baratza Vario is ok, but I've found it has a bit of variance in grind size probably due to the plastic construction. My vario needed 26 shims of aluminum foil to get the burrs more evenly aligned. A refurb or used Forte with BG burrs would make a great brew grinder that's within your range. Baratza does have a refurb section so that may be worth checking out.

wito

Postby wito » Mar 14, 2019, 9:55 am

nah dont really looking for used/refurbished gear
most i have seen in my region are really abused machines and not many are from a homeuser and i live in slovakia and there arent many coffee enthusiast as somewhere else