Grinder under $500 budget to be used with a Rancilio Silvia

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
DragosC

#1: Post by DragosC » Nov 07, 2019, 7:49 pm

Hello,

I have a DeLonghi Dedica coffee machine, and I would like to upgrade to a Rancilio Silvia and a decent grinder (under 500$).

I was thinking of:
  • Eureka Mignon Specialita because of the flat 55 mm burrs and nice design
  • Rancilio Rocky because of the big burrs and somewhat nice design
  • Baratza Vario because of the 54mm ceramic flat burrs
  • Rocket Faustino has a cool design
What is your recommendation? I would prefer no second hand options.

Also, worth mentioning, I drink only espresso, about 3 or 4 cups a day.

Thank you very much.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas » Nov 07, 2019, 8:39 pm

My 2-cents worth is: The Eureka is a newish model with good reviews; I've not personally seen this particular model but their other grinders that I've seen look solid. The Rocky is dated and although solid, some users report it is no longer considered that good for espresso; my friend has had one for years and never had a problem. He does have some retention issues with some beans but I don't know if this is better on any of the other grinders on your list. The Vario is becoming dated, but has fairly good reviews; however, it isn't built as solidly as the others on your list. I used one for a little while and liked it. Retention is a bit more than my Sette though. I've never seen the Rocket, but some reviewers complain about the hopper design with oily beans. That's all I've got. But I do have a question; why the Silvia. Most folks consider it a bit dated, even though it's nicely built. Would you get it with a PID? IMO there are better machines out there for not much more money.

DragosC

#3: Post by DragosC » Nov 07, 2019, 8:43 pm

What other coffee machine would you recommend instead of the Silvia?

sweaner
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by sweaner » Nov 07, 2019, 8:44 pm

Save a bit, order a Niche...
Scott
LMWDP #248

MNate

#5: Post by MNate » Nov 08, 2019, 12:05 am

If you are doing milk drinks, a hand grinder really doesn't slow your workflow down. So you can get a better grinder for less money.

I used a Pharos (and still enjoy it) when I had my Silvia. The Silvia has several steps where you need to wait for the machine and there is plenty of time to hand grind. I think my flow was:

Flip Silvia switch to heat to steam temp, and while I wait for it to get to temp I weigh and grind the beans in Pharos.

Steam the milk, do technique to bring Silvia down to brew temp. While waiting for temp stabilization I load the portafilter and wdt, and by the time I have it ready, Silvia is ready to brew. Swirl the milk a bit as I wait for the espresso, pour and enjoy!

I think the Silvia can make very good espresso but a good grinder is essential for it because if the grounds aren't just right the shot is easily off. No forgiveness. But the good shots were just as good as I ended up doing on my big commercial HX later.

I just bought a Cafelat Robot for my backup/travel machine and it's so great because of how forgiving and simple it is. That's what I'm going to recommend to beginners for now. Saves a little money to put towards a better grinder too.

bas

#6: Post by bas » Nov 08, 2019, 2:17 am

Specialita no doubt. Well build, silent, good grind quality, modest retention. I like it and have one

Leave the Rocky. Noisy, clumpy grind, alignment issues, not stepless. And retention.

Vario v3 is pretty solid but I would always chose the Specialita because it has better fit and finish and better quality parts inside. That aside grind quality is pretty good.

Niche is great if you like single dosing. Worth the extra money. Don not like the lookst but still have one.

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB » Nov 08, 2019, 8:06 am

DragosC wrote:What is your recommendation? I would prefer no second hand options.
For future reference, please do not crosspost to HB. Moderators reserve the right to delete crossposts.

Re: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espres ... ers/740399
Dan Kehn

slipchuck

#8: Post by slipchuck » Nov 08, 2019, 9:10 am

I have a Bezzera BB005 and like it a lot. Should be priced under $500 in your country

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

sosha
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by sosha » Nov 09, 2019, 12:33 pm

If you don't mind hand grinding, think about a Kinu grinder. I use an M47 for espresso, but the new Phoenix looks awesome for the price point.
LMWDP #440

DragosC

#10: Post by DragosC » Nov 10, 2019, 8:23 pm

I have decided for a Eureka Mignon Specialita in the end. Thank you for all your suggestions