Grinder to replace 1Zpresso JX Pro, budget around $500

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Jonsmith5

#1: Post by Jonsmith5 »

Hello all,

I am searching for a new espresso grinder to replace my JX Pro I have paired with a Robot. I have loved the pair for two years but it is time to change to an easier workflow. I use the hand grinder to grind for espresso and pourovers each morning, and would plan to continue to use it for pourovers. As such this new grinder would be exclusively espresso focused

I am in the US and would prefer to stay around $500.

I am hoping for shots of about the same quality of the JX Pro as I know it can be difficult to produce far better coffees without increasing my budget significantly. I drink straight shots, no milk drinks. I mostly brew with fresh beans from local roasters of medium or lighter roast.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Welcome to H-B!

I'd look at the Option-O Lagom Mini. I enjoy it with international roasters known for light roasts as well as roasts "as dark as" George Howell Alchemy or B&W The Natural.

jackson6

#3: Post by jackson6 »

You always use an electric drill with the correct sized bit to drive JX-PRO. I sometimes use that when I don't want to hand crank.

Jonsmith5 (original poster)

#4: Post by Jonsmith5 (original poster) »

Now that is surely an idea in at least the most technical sense haha hopes it works well for you!

Jonsmith5 (original poster)

#5: Post by Jonsmith5 (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Welcome to H-B!

I'd look at the Option-O Lagom Mini. I enjoy it with international roasters known for light roasts as well as roasts "as dark as" George Howell Alchemy or B&W The Natural.
Thank you for the suggestion! I read a bit about it and it seems people are worried about using it for espresso multiple times consecutively in a short period. Is that a worthwhile concern in your experience?

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

I wouldn't use it to make drinks for a party, but I don't have any concerns around a couple in session.

From Option-O -- https://www.option-o.com/faq-lagom-mini ... 13728_4174

Richmyster

#7: Post by Richmyster »

Df64 gen2!

bznelson91
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by bznelson91 »

Lagom Mini seems like a great option (no pun intended), but it can be unobtanium at times, like, you know, now. :) I ordered one a few weeks ago, estimated late April ship date.

Brad

jkoll42

#9: Post by jkoll42 »

Jonsmith5 wrote:Hello all,

I am searching for a new espresso grinder to replace my JX Pro I have paired with a Robot. I have loved the pair for two years but it is time to change to an easier workflow. I use the hand grinder to grind for espresso and pourovers each morning, and would plan to continue to use it for pourovers. As such this new grinder would be exclusively espresso focused

I am in the US and would prefer to stay around $500.

I am hoping for shots of about the same quality of the JX Pro as I know it can be difficult to produce far better coffees without increasing my budget significantly. I drink straight shots, no milk drinks. I mostly brew with fresh beans from local roasters of medium or lighter roast.
I haven't personally used one but the Baratza Sette series claims that the coarsest setting will work for drip. It's in the budget range and their drip grinders have always been a great value and solid units.